Community discussions

MikroTik App

mjsison168
just joined
Topic Author

Home Setup NEWBIE

Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:57 pm

Home Network Setup

Hi im very new to Mikrotik and Networking.

I have CRS125-24G-1S-2Hnd.

I have Asus AC5300 and Asus RT68U which i want to run as Access Point for WIFI. I also have Samsung Wifi Mesh 3 wifi hubs. I have Hue Bridge, a Smartthings Hub, an Arlo Hub, & 2 IP PTZ cameras, a Synology NAS, Time Capsule, & WD My Home Cloud. I have 2 switches located in different rooms (MR & LR). MR is connecting PS5, XBOX, Switch, TV, Apple TV, Bose Wave, Macbook. LR is connecting DVR, TV, Bluray, Samsung Wifi Hub, arlo hub. I have 3 rpi4s one for openhab, homebridge and piHole

I have 1 gig internet cable modem line.

Whats the best setup to do so that my WAN would connect through the SFP1 port of my MikroTik.

What i am aiming for is that my 2 asus routers and 3 samsung wifi hubs will only be used as Access Point for WIFI 2G and 5G (all gadgets that use wifi connect to them) they are using the same ssid and channel sort of mesh type.

i was thinking of link aggregating both asus to two ports each giving them 2gb throughput. Bonding Eth2 & 3 for Asus 1 then Bonding Eth 4& 5 for Asus 2

My Synology would be link aggregated with 2 ports Bonding Eth 6&7

Eth 8 is where i wish to connect the switch MR, eth9 is for switch LR, eth10 is for Time Capsule, 11 for MyCloud Home, 12 for pihole 13 for openhab 14 for homebridge 15 for miner, 16 for hue bridge, 17 for smartthings hub

what i want to happen is my piHole as my DNS recursive server, the openhab and homebridge can connect to all gadgets connected to the wifi or lan. i want the miner to connect to the internet only and cannot access the rest of the network. the DHCP server would still be the mikrotik. I run a PLEX server from my NAS which i connect to remotely once in a while. I want the time capsule and MyCloud to be accessible only if i connect via LAN to backup my MAcbook, I want it to be isolated from the rest so only 1 port can access it.

Its a lot as i said im new to networking and there might be some redundancy on my setup any suggestions i will very much appreciate

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Home Setup NEWBIE

Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:42 am

Okay so your new to Mikrotik, I have to ask, why not ask first which device you should buy based on your requirements??

For example, that device seems to be a honking switch but maxes out at less than 500Mbps on the routing side meaning your 1gig internet connection is wasted. Its possible you could squeeze out 700Mbps but not much more.

mjsison168
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:05 am

Okay so your new to Mikrotik, I have to ask, why not ask first which device you should buy based on your requirements??

For example, that device seems to be a honking switch but maxes out at less than 500Mbps on the routing side meaning your 1gig internet connection is wasted. Its possible you could squeeze out 700Mbps but not much more.

what should i have to fully utilize the 1gig internet connection?

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:14 am

RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN or RB4011iGS+RM or something probably.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:35 pm

what should i have to fully utilize the 1gig internet connection?
Good question, the wired RB4011, the RB3011 are the cheapest routers to do that.
The RB4011 should last you 10 years LOL.