Community discussions

MikroTik App

torgr2019
Topic Author

hAP ac2 in bridge mode web access?

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:32 pm

Good afternoon,

Very newbie in MT products. I have an RB4011 and an hAP ac2 as access point.
Configuration is relatively simple: ISP modem>>4011>> hAP ac2 (in bridge mode).

I started the hap ac2 in bridge mode but i lost access immediately thereafter. It is accesible only through Winbox.
My question is maybe stupid but simple:
Can i manage my hAP (in bridge mode) from web interface?
If not then if i change the initial configuration to router mode, can make some modifications that will make me able to access the device through web access but still working with RB4011 without double NAT, etc?

I need to manage it through web interface.

Any help highly appreciated.

torgr2019
Topic Author

Re: hAP ac2 in bridge mode web access?  [SOLVED]

Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:53 pm

Found the answer after a lot of search:

My configuration is:
ISP modem >> Router 4011 >> AP hAP ac2.
In router everything is moving in vlans and AP is connecting to a trunk port in router for vlan 120.
AP itself:
ports 2,3,4 are access ports for vlan 120
wifi ports are access ports for other vlans.
ether 1 is trunk port for traffic to the router.
bridge in AP initially had vlan-id 1 and it was required to accept only vlan traffic. THAT WAS THE PROBLEM.
I changed the properties of bridge to be untagged for vlan 120, and to accept all traffic and i put vlan-id 120 at the bridge itself. That way (AND ONLY THAT WAY) the bridge acquire ip address from dhcp server for vlan 120 from the router AFTER i insert a static ip in ip>addresses the same ip that the router has assigned to the bridge AND activate the dhcp client at ip>dhcp client in order the bridge to acquire a dynamic ip from the router.
After that everything is working as it should.

My points:
The wizards - default setup of Mikrotik as for example AP-bridge or WISP etc are full of crap. DO NOT use them.
Start from scratch and create bridge, ports etc. reset with no default configuration. No firewall, no dhcp servers no nothing you do not need.
The other important lesson i learned is to assing to the main bridge an ADMIN-MAC and set in the terminal the auto-mac off. Otherwise if you have vlan setup and something is misconfigured then you MAY LOSE access to the device even from winbox/mac address (maybe because the bridge acquire dynamic mac and the discovery is not working if you are in vlans, i do not know).

zogman
just joined

Re: hAP ac2 in bridge mode web access?

Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:05 am

I'm dealing with a similar issue. Just wanted a simple WAP without spending hundreds of dollars.

I need this device to do nothing but provide wireless. No dhcpd, no routing other than to my gateway.
Last edited by zogman on Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.