Community discussions

MikroTik App

jayess
just joined
Topic Author

setup hap lite wifi

Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:49 pm

Hi
I have an existing network with wifi, I would like to put the hap lite in the attic which does not have a lan cable, to recieve a wifi network and then use the ports to provide network access for devices which dont have wifi built in to them. can anyone guide me how to setup the hap lite to be able to achieve this? many thanks for any help provided.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: setup hap lite wifi

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:09 pm

have you thought of using moca adapters (existing cable wiring) or powerline adapters (using existing electrical wiring)?

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:10 pm

I have used this post, sure it can help you:
https://www.justinho.com/blog/2017/07/1 ... -lite.html

jayess
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:18 pm

Thank you for your reply, I am not wanting to use it to broadcast any wifi rather to recieve network connection via wifi and then only use lan ports to provide network access?

jayess
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:19 pm

have you thought of using moca adapters (existing cable wiring) or powerline adapters (using existing electrical wiring)?
have tried them in the past and have never found them to be reliable for to host a server on the other end of the connection.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:56 pm

Thank you for your reply, I am not wanting to use it to broadcast any wifi rather to recieve network connection via wifi and then only use lan ports to provide network access?
So...then don't configure that part.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:07 pm

The post @erlinden linked is generally fine. However the setup has one drawback (which might be show stopper): it is not possible to directly access devices "behind" wireless device. As you're mentioning server (for which powerline adapters are not reliable enough), I guess you are actually after an L2-transparent wireless link which would make wired hosts in the attic appear full members of the rest of LAN. This is not possible when talking about pure 802.11 standard because standard lacks room for 4-th MAC address. Different vendors created different work-arounds and standard extensions and are mostly incompatible. So you will have to use wireless client (in the attic) by the same vendor as AP.

Now, if your AP is mikrotik as well, then setup of hap lite is easy ... but you have to do it from blank configuration:
  1. create a bridge and add all ether ports and wireless port to it
  2. configure wlan1 interface, set mode=station-bridge, configure SSID and PSK according to settings on your AP
  3. on bridge interface either set IP address statically (add default route using main router's IP address as gateway) or set DHCP client so you'll have admin access to hAP lite via your LAN

jayess
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:20 pm

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Connect_ ... ss_Network have used this and can access the network as required, the only problem i am having is that the lan clients are not getting the dhcp from the internal server but rather from the mikrotik dhcp router server how can i change this to use the dhcp server already on my network and to keep the clients on the same ip address pool as the rest of the network?

jayess
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:46 pm

The post @erlinden linked is generally fine. However the setup has one drawback (which might be show stopper): it is not possible to directly access devices "behind" wireless device. As you're mentioning server (for which powerline adapters are not reliable enough), I guess you are actually after an L2-transparent wireless link which would make wired hosts in the attic appear full members of the rest of LAN. This is not possible when talking about pure 802.11 standard because standard lacks room for 4-th MAC address. Different vendors created different work-arounds and standard extensions and are mostly incompatible. So you will have to use wireless client (in the attic) by the same vendor as AP.

Now, if your AP is mikrotik as well, then setup of hap lite is easy ... but you have to do it from blank configuration:
  1. create a bridge and add all ether ports and wireless port to it
  2. configure wlan1 interface, set mode=station-bridge, configure SSID and PSK according to settings on your AP
  3. on bridge interface either set IP address statically (add default route using main router's IP address as gateway) or set DHCP client so you'll have admin access to hAP lite via your LAN
can you explain a little bit more please as am new the network and mikrotik and trying to get my head around all this. I use bt mesh to supply wifi around the house, and can get the mikrotik to join the network and can get the lan clients to get internet but am stuck in trying to get the client lans to be on the same network as the rest of the house.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:49 pm

You can read more about the problem in this article. In short: get yourself another AP by same vendor and you'll likely get it working in short time. Use any other vendor and you'll have problems this way or another.