Community discussions

MikroTik App

jayess
just joined
Topic Author

DHCP

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:39 pm

Current setup, windoes domain server running dhcp, dns etc... Wifi being supplied by unifi. adding mikrotik lite to supply lan access to computers which dont have wifi, so using the mikrotek to connect to wifi and then using lan ports to access network. have managed to setup, however i need to set the dhcp for the clients on the lan ports to use the windows dhcp server and am stuck trying to ge tthis to work. any help available or guidance would be greatly apprecieted. thank you.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: DHCP

Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:55 pm

You did not say which Mikrotik you are using. For the purpose, you should have a switch, not a router. If you are using a router, you are going to need to provide us with a drawing (or a really good description - drawing is better) of your network layout, and a export of your router configuration in order for us to help you.
And you don't do anything in a client computer to tell it what device to use as a DHCP server.

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: DHCP

Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:50 pm

And a simple wireless network card was not an option for each of these LAN-PC's without Wifi ?
Now you are making things so complex.
I think you need to look into "dhcp relay" where you want to capture the DHCP request on the LAN-side (from the PC's) and forward it towards a Microsoft DHCP server somwhere behind the Unify WLAN setup ?

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/DHCP_Relay

You must make sure the Mikrotik off course can reach the DHCP-server.

And I wonder how you realized it because so many things can go wrong. Is this setup "bridged" (do the PC's use the same IP-space then across the wireless ?) Or is it some routed LAN-network across the wireless ?