Community discussions

MikroTik App

hanyassar
Topic Author

Prevent Created Hotspot Users from using trial

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:30 pm

Hi guys,

I have in issue in my mikrotik network. The situation is as follows:

I have about 500 users which I created in the hotspot as users, all these users have account with traffic limit enabled for them. And I have just activated the trial in my mikrotik for users that are not already created in the htospot. What I want to figure out, is how can I prevent users that already have account in the hotspot to use the trial? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time guys.

hanyassar
Topic Author

Re: Prevent Created Hotspot Users from using trial

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:41 pm

any ideas guys?

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:43 pm

Ideally you can't - if trial is available then registered users could potentially use the trial period over and over - or you could move to something like MAC based auth/cookies to help avoid it - but then any secondary devices etc may need their own account - or in cases like iphones where they change their MAC for security could have problems too.

hanyassar
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:16 am

Ideally you can't - if trial is available then registered users could potentially use the trial period over and over - or you could move to something like MAC based auth/cookies to help avoid it - but then any secondary devices etc may need their own account - or in cases like iphones where they change their MAC for security could have problems too.
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking about creating a script in "On Login" for the trial profile to check whether the mac address of the user that is logged in using trial is repeated twice in the user list. If that condition is true, the script will remove the user, and if the condition is false the user will stay online.

What do you think?

loloski
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:33 pm

You can't rely on mac address because in your phone there is a feature that randomize your phone mac address and even windows 10 can do that with just a single click,
if you want you can setup a radius server with DB backend then have the trial or voucher code sent to their phone mobile number, if they want to defeat the trial they have to buy a new SIM cards

I know this setup requires a lot of things from modifying the captive portal to redirect to a custom page that you require them to input their mobile number because they will going to received
the voucher code there and it requires an SMS gateway to do that, bit of a work but we can just minimize the free loader but not really a silver bullet solution