Community discussions

MikroTik App

zogman
just joined
Topic Author

I can't access the web interface for MikroTik hAP ac2

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:05 pm

I just configured my MikroTik hAP ac2 to operate in bridge mode and it seems to have lost its mind or developed a split personality syndrome.

With my browser I connected to the default http://192.168.88.1 set up address and configured it as a WAP, i.e. I chose "bridge mode."
I created a new SSID and set the initial administrative password and passphrase for WiFi auth. While I was attached to the MikroTik via https://192.168.88.1 I noticed it had received a IP address lease from my dhcpd server so I left that alone. I clicked on the "check for RouterOS updates" button and nothing happened. It works as a WAP but there are two problems.

It has two SSIDs, the factory one and the one I created. (Both work.) I see the device talking to my Debian dhcpd server and it's got a lease but I cannot connect to it.

Mar 23 11:11:32 ns1 dhcpd[416]: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.10.14 from 49:8f:5f:7d:v8:ca (hAPac2) via ens3
Mar 23 11:11:32 ns1 dhcpd[416]: DHCPACK on 192.168.10.14 to 49:8f:5f:7d:v8:ca (hAPac2) via ens3

Update:
So I managed to do a factory reset and was able to upgrade to the latest, stable RouterOS. I configured the device the same way I did yesterday but the results are the same. I still have a phantom device on my network that does perform well as a WAP, but I can't connect to the admin http interface.

zogman
just joined
Topic Author

Re: I can't access the web interface for MikroTik hAP ac2

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:06 pm

Oh. I have to plug an Ethernet cable into a port other than port 1, which is firewalled.

How are people without Windows supposed to configure these devices?

grrr

zogman
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:15 pm

You have to make a virtual machine setup i guess?
I'd still need a Windoze license, right?

I don't have one. I will not buy one.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:30 pm

You can use Webfig which is a web interface similar to WinBox, or you can use a Telnet or preferably SSH session to configure it with a text based interface.
If you are on a MAC, apparently there is a way to run WinBox on a MAC, but I don't use a MAC, so I have no details.
If you are on linux, you should be used to text based configuration :) - but you can still run Webfig if desired.
And if you are on Windows, you can use any of the above, or WinBox.

zogman
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:46 pm

I managed to get the device working while still being accessible via webfig's Quick Set interface. Hallelujah.

The solution was to attach only one Ethernet cable, and plug it into any port except port 1.
Then configure Ethernet ports 2 through 5 for the same, single VLAN1.

I was able to give the device a static IP address, too.

My only sadness now is that I bought this device thinking it was ddwrt/openwrt/tomato compatible. Oh well. Maybe one day.

zogman
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:50 pm

You can use Webfig which is a web interface similar to WinBox, or you can use a Telnet or preferably SSH session to configure it with a text based interface.
If you are on a MAC, apparently there is a way to run WinBox on a MAC, but I don't use a MAC, so I have no details.
If you are on linux, you should be used to text based configuration :) - but you can still run Webfig if desired.
And if you are on Windows, you can use any of the above, or WinBox.
I was using Webfig from the beginning.

I would lose access to it every time I got the device partway configured.

I never would have bought this device if I had known the preferred method of management was via Windows. Windows is . . . an abomination. I'm being polite.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:59 pm

My only sadness now is that I bought this device thinking it was ddwrt/openwrt/tomato compatible.
In other words, you bought something other than what you are looking for, and then are bitching that it does not work the way you wanted. Frankly, I am VERY glad that it is no ddwrt compatible.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: I can't access the web interface for MikroTik hAP ac2  [SOLVED]

Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:06 pm

Likely your fault. For example, if you change the IP subnet of the device, of course you are going to lose connection to it - until you change the IP of your computer.
Although I don't normally use it, Webfig works just fine.

I never would have bought this device if I had known the preferred method of management was via Windows.

WinBox is the ONLY configuration method that requires (sort of) Windows. MOST of the proficient users use a SSH text session - which can be run from just about anything.

BTW, the Quick setup should ONLY be used once. If you make ANY other changes, going back and using the quick setup again will overwrite your changes.

zogman
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:41 pm

Likely your fault. For example, if you change the IP subnet of the device, of course you are going to lose connection to it - until you change the IP of your computer.
Although I don't normally use it, Webfig works just fine.

I never would have bought this device if I had known the preferred method of management was via Windows.

WinBox is the ONLY configuration method that requires (sort of) Windows. MOST of the proficient users use a SSH text session - which can be run from just about anything.

BTW, the Quick setup should ONLY be used once. If you make ANY other changes, going back and using the quick setup again will overwrite your changes.
Yeah, I'm an idiot and I mean that sincerely. I just wish manufacturer had some good documentation for J. Average SOHO User. Simple use cases written by native English speakers. I don't like "wizard" setup GUIs and I am a CLI oriented *nix user but the printed "quick start" document that came with the device didn't have much useful info in it.

I'm still not understanding why the Quick Set Dual AP page (the working config) is telling me the hAP has a dhcp lease AND the static IP I gave the device. I have only one Ethernet cable plugged in. I can't ping the IP of the alleged dhcp lease.

zogman
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:50 pm

My only sadness now is that I bought this device thinking it was ddwrt/openwrt/tomato compatible.
In other words, you bought something other than what you are looking for, and then are bitching that it does not work the way you wanted. Frankly, I am VERY glad that it is no ddwrt compatible.
Why is that? I have never used ddwrt/openwrt or tomato but I think it makes sense to use FOSS whenever it's an option.