MikroTik App

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Some issues with tethering usb and wifi with my hap ac2

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:43 pm

Hi,

I tried to connect my Mikrotik hap ac2 in tethering to my new smartphone Moto 5 5G plus either via USB or WIFI, But I'm going through some issues I haven't yet managed to work out.
As for the first case, via usb, I plugged my smatphone to it and started tethering usb on my smartphone, but the LTE interface has never appear in my Mirkotik's available interface as it always happened with every other devices I used to plug before. I see that it get be recharged, but not internet connection available. There is no issue with my phone since both wifi and tethering connection work gret if I plug or connect it to my pc or notebook. Maybe there is not enough power supply?

Second case. I then tried to connect my Mikrotik to my smartphone via tethering wifi by enabling the 5Gh antenna and starting a scan to find any wifi connection available.
Mikrotik sees another home router's wifi signal but no way it see my smartphone 5gh signal.
For the record. Mikrotik's 2.4GHz antenna can see my new smartphone's 2.4gh signal instead.

Could anyone help figure it out and fix it?
Thanks

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Some issues with tethering usb and wifi with my hap ac2

Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:29 pm

Can not comment why you can or can not use USB. maybe some one else can advice
(I was not aware you can actually do that at all ;-))

Tethering Over Wifi: I could imagine the Moto might not offer to use 5Ghz in its hotspot mode. Or you need to set the
frequency in the settings of your phone.
Normally if your phone does connect as client to 5ghz Wifi, then it should also offer it on hotspot, but you need
to enable it.

Also make sure country code is correct set on HAP-ac2 so it matches the frequencies the phone is offering!

If your hotspot only supports 2.4Ghz, then you can create virtual interface as STA on 2.4Ghz and keep the Wifi AP interface at same time.
That way hap-ac2 connects to phone and offers Wifi on 2.4G to others simultaneously.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:37 pm

If your hotspot only supports 2.4Ghz, then you can create virtual interface as STA on 2.4Ghz and keep the Wifi AP interface at same time.
wireless mode station should only be used on master interface because it has to follow the serving AP (or phone tethering internet connection) ... virtual interfaces can't do that.

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:02 pm

it seems that my mikrotik can see and connect to the Moto's 5Ghz signal in tethering (station mode), but I can't browse the Internet. I don't know why.
Any thought.
Thanks

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:06 am

station mode
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... properties
station-pseudobridge - Same as station, but additionally perform MAC address translation of all traffic. Allows interface to be bridged.

As for the first case, via usb, I plugged my smatphone to it and started tethering usb on my smartphone, but the LTE interface has never appear in my Mirkotik's available interface as it always happened with every other devices I used to plug before.
Probably he use some other emulation of Ethernet interface . You can only contact with support@mikrotik.com

davidshaner
just joined

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:06 am

I also faced some different bug with my wifi but after restarting the issue will be solved properly.

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:56 am

station-pseudobridge - Same as station, but additionally perform MAC address translation of all traffic. Allows interface to be bridged.
Do you mean that i should try station-pseudobridge as a setup?
Thanks

nostromog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:24 pm

As for the first case, via usb, I plugged my smatphone to it and started tethering usb on my smartphone, but the LTE interface has never appear in my Mirkotik's available interface as it always happened with every other devices I used to plug before. I see that it get be recharged, but not internet connection available. There is no issue with my phone since both wifi and tethering connection work gret if I plug or connect it to my pc or notebook. Maybe there is not enough power supply?
I'm using exactly this for internet access for some time. Except my phone is not a Motorola. It works perfectly. The only issue I cant think about is that when I unplug and then plug again the cable the phne does not offer me the possibillity to USB-tether until I shutdown-restart the router.

I can imagine that a faulty cable or connector can provoke a problems, but in my case as soon as the router boots and the phone is connected, a
[admin@Mikrotik] > /interface/lte/print 
Flags: X - disabled; R - running 
 0  R name="lte1" mtu=1500 mac-address=NN:NN:NN:NN:NN:NN 
interface appears...

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:06 pm

I'm using exactly this for internet access for some time. Except my phone is not a Motorola. It works perfectly. The only issue I cant think about is that when I unplug and then plug again the cable the phne does not offer me the possibillity to USB-tether until I shutdown-restart the router.

I can imagine that a faulty cable or connector can provoke a problems, but in my case as soon as the router boots and the phone is connected, a
[admin@Mikrotik] > /interface/lte/print 
Flags: X - disabled; R - running 
 0  R name="lte1" mtu=1500 mac-address=NN:NN:NN:NN:NN:NN 
interface appears...
That has been always my case as well. I'm having issue with my new smartphone only.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:03 pm

That has been always my case as well. I'm having issue with my new smartphone only.
Probably he use some other emulation of Ethernet interface . You can only contact with support@mikrotik.com
Try that at Windows and check what interface exist at PC