Community discussions

MikroTik App

HocoG
just joined
Topic Author

Multiple VLANs and DHCP servers on a single physical port

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:05 pm

Hi everyone, I am having problem configuring trunk port with several DHCP servers. I've tried configuring it by creating VLAN's via 'Interface- VLANs' and configruing dhcp servers onto them, but as soon as it was enabled internet speed drastically reduced (2 core arm processor and ~ 150-200 devices) . Is it possible to created trunk port with multiple dhcp servers using switch chip or bridge vlan configuration?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Multiple VLANs and DHCP servers on a single physical port

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:22 pm

Both may be possible, switch chip method depends on the hardware.

bridgevlan filtering
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=143620

Switch chip method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj9aPoyZOPo

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:28 pm

Both methods (bridge vlan and switch chip vlan) only matter in switched/bridged environment which is when multiple ports are members of same vlans (or subset of thereof) and pat of traffic simply passes router/switch between these ports (almost) unaltered.
When only single port is carrying all vlans (as in case of inter-vlan router), then all traffic is handled by device's CPU which easily becomes a bottleneck. How narrow the bottleneck is depends on model of particular device and usage pattern.

So if you want some problem analysis and suggestions, describe your use case in some more details and post device's configueation (execute /export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish, fetch the resulting file, ooen it with text editor and copy-paste it here - put it inside [code] [/code] block).

Guscht
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:50 am

We run our CCRs1072 this way, we have all VLANs configured (via the Bridge) and run on the adjacent VLAN-Interfaces the DHCP-Servers.
We run everything this way, OSPF, Multicast/PIM-routing... It works great!

The CCRs have no Switch-Chip, but to be honest, the Switch-Chip-VLAN handling is a pain. Id always recommend the bridge-way.
I have spend days of trial-and-error configuring the Switch-Chip-VLAN like the Bridge-VLAN, but I failed always.