Community discussions

MikroTik App

nacholibrev
just joined
Topic Author

How to connect CAP AP to existing router - the easiest way?

Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:56 pm

HI all,

I have an rb951ui-2hnd which has WIFI capabilities, but only 2Ghz. So I've decided to get cAP ac RbcAPGi-5acD2nD and update my home network a bit.

I've connected the CAP to my router, configured my SSID etc, but when I connect to the cap wifi - I don't have internet access nor access to the host (rb951ui-2hnd).

My question is how to configure the CAP to get internet from rb951ui-2hnd?

I can see that the CAP got an IP address from the existing router DHCP server, but I cannot access it. I'm guessing both networks are clashing, because they have the same internal 192.168.88.* configs, I've tried to change the CAP network, but I ended up nuking the router and I had to reset.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to connect CAP AP to existing router - the easiest way?

Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:43 pm

Might be that the cAP ac is configured as router instead of accesspoint. I prefer to work from scratch: reset with no default configuration, create bridge (including DHCP client) and add all interfaces, configure wifi. That's basically enough to make the accesspoint work as requested.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:40 pm

I would have not recommended the capac at that price point, but concur with erlinden.

What I would do is power the unit via ethernet poe on eth1 and access the cap via eth2.

Create a bridge on eth1 and assign everything to the bridge.
Keep a separate address, dhcp and everything for ether2 so that you can access and configure the AP from eth2 at anytime.
When finished configuring just add capac to the main router on ether1, and see if it works, if not use your eth2 connection to make any necessary changes.

nacholibrev
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:50 pm

I've did a reset without any configuration and then started fresh and everything is working now.

Thanks for the suggestion for using two cables, that way I didn't rely on the wireless network to configure and I could test the internet access.

Thanks for your help :)