Community discussions

MikroTik App

ckl88
just joined
Topic Author

ssh from remote site not working

Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:00 am

Hello. I'm basically stuck.

I setup the built-in ssh server on my hap ac2 with public/private keys and tested it on my LAN and it worked great. Now, I figured that just creating a firewall input accept rule for the ssh port and it would work from a remote site. Well, it doesn't. There is something I'm missing and I can't figure out what it is.

Because my isp allows 2 IPs, I setup a test using the second ip so I can do this test with 2 public ips in the same room to monitor it all.

I use putty on the laptop and tried to connect to the mikrotik via ssh. I can see from the firewall rules that the input rule I created for the ssh port is getting a packet. I logged it and here is the log:
SSH_Access input: in:ether1 out:(unknown 0), src-mac xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, proto TCP (SYN), 192.241.xxx.xxx:59800->174.1.xxx.xxx:443, len 60
(SSH_Access is the log prefix and I've x'd out some info)

But then after that, nothing else happens. Putty eventually times out with "network error: Software cause connection abort"

What did I miss?

ckl88
just joined
Topic Author

Re: ssh from remote site not working

Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:24 am

Just wanted to share that it has something to do with my Edgerouter X blocking the connection. When I tethered the laptop to my cellphone and used the LTE connection, it all started working.