Community discussions

MikroTik App

ohMyVladdd
just joined
Topic Author

Route only internal traffic (OpenVPN)

Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:07 pm

I'm using mikrotik on which there's RouterOS v6.43.2. This was set up in a way where when you're connected to the VPN all the traffic goes through it (YouTube, Spotify, etc..) which significantly slows down the speed of the VPN itself. My question here is if it's possible to pass only the traffic that's in our network over the VPN and the rest of it use the standard connection.

I'm not sure if the question is posted in the proper subforum, if not please move it. Please keep in mind that I'm in no way network expert, I just know my way around for stuff :D
Last edited by ohMyVladdd on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erkexzcx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Route only internal traffic (OpenVPN)

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:00 am

Maybe someone could clarify this, but if I am not mistaken IPSEC is policy-based while OpenVPN is routing-based (has it's own interface and internal IP).

I think you should start by looking into "/ip route" or OpenVPN routing settings. I never set up or used OpenVPN on Mikrotik routers, so I can't comment much.

loloski
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Route only internal traffic (OpenVPN)

Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:19 am

I'm using mikrotik on which there's RouterOS v6.43.2. This was set up in a way where when you're connected to the VPN all the traffic goes through it (YouTube, Spotify, etc..) which significantly slows down the speed of the VPN itself. My question here is if it's possible to pass only the traffic that's in our network over the VPN and the rest of it use the standard connection.

I'm not sure if the question is posted in the proper subforum, if not please move it. Please keep in mind that I'm in no way network expert, I just know my way around for stuff :D
Indeed you can't customize openvpn server implementation in mikrotik to disable redirect-gateway even push-route is not available, if you have spare vm or physical machine to throw behind ROS that would be the workaround for your issue then do a port-fowarding in ROS to DNAT traffic on that VM. I know it's pain