Community discussions

MikroTik App

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

How do I set UBoot to boot RouterOS?

Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:35 pm

I have an embedded x86 board that uses UBoot for it's BIOS, I was not expecting it not to have a traditional BIOS to say the least..

Can I still use RouterOS from my USB flash drive to boot the system?

What parameters do I need to give UBoot?

It is a Geode LX with two mPCIe LTE cards, GPS, and a mPCI WiFi card, also has embedded AES acceleration..

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: How do I set UBoot to boot RouterOS?

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:37 pm

If your uBoot can boot an kernel+initrd from some filesystem, or an MBR-device, then yes. The format of the kernel and differ however (there is some variants).

I would also strongly suggest not running from an USB memory. USB-sticks can be very unreliable and random USB bus resets. You should use some better CF och SD at least.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:36 pm

You can set up UBoot to load linux kernel and initrd from the usb key. At least that is as long as your UBoot was compiled with USB support.
If not, then you may have to use some secondary bootloader.

And I don't agree that using USB keys is any worse than say CF, I have been using them for years for all x86 installs. Just don't use no-name ones, buy brand name flash drive and it will last forever (ROS is made to run from memory and to not cause unnecessary writes... total writes after 10 years is still less then 1GB).

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:22 pm

You can set up UBoot to load linux kernel and initrd from the usb key. At least that is as long as your UBoot was compiled with USB support.
If not, then you may have to use some secondary bootloader.

And I don't agree that using USB keys is any worse than say CF, I have been using them for years for all x86 installs. Just don't use no-name ones, buy brand name flash drive and it will last forever (ROS is made to run from memory and to not cause unnecessary writes... total writes after 10 years is still less then 1GB).
My RouterOS is already licensed/installed to the USB flash drive, that is why I wanted to use it.. Brand-name.. Kinda, but it is already done.. Otherwise I agree..

Definitely has USB support.. Built-in updates are done using USB flash drives..

Otherwise, cool Thank you.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:38 am

Let me rephrase, USB-based storage as OS storage. USB contacts can be glitchy and USB controllers sometimes does random resets when it's encounter some problem.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:36 am

Let me rephrase, USB-based storage as OS storage. USB contacts can be glitchy and USB controllers sometimes does random resets when it's encounter some problem.
I agree, USB flash drives for OSs is not a good idea.. I would much prefer the CF card, but my USB drive is already licensed, from a previous project, so I am stuck with it.