Community discussions

MikroTik App

jollytall
just joined
Topic Author

What is the best way to set-up WLAN VLAN?

Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:51 pm

On my Mikrotik all-in router I would like to set-up two WLAN VLANs, and I have two questions:

Is there any difference between two ssid-s, if I set-up one on wlan1 (physical interface) and one on a virtual wlan built on the first physical one? I guess here e.g. speed, hw acceleration, security, etc.

Where is the best to set the VLAN for the WLAN?
Both for the physical WLAN (in advanced menu in WebFig) and on the virtual WLAN I can select VLAN mode. If I set it here, then when I add the WLAN to the bridge, it is already a tagged interface, so PVID does not matter and in the bridge it must be added as Tagged.
I can also choose not to set VLAN in WLAN1 (physical) and WLAN2 (virtual). In this case I can add the interface to the bridge with PVID selected and in the VLAN table add (or actually it is default) as Untagged port.
As far as I can see, both work. The question again, is there any speed, security, etc. difference to prefer one over the other?

Thanks,

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: What is the best way to set-up WLAN VLAN?

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:25 pm

This reference details configuration for wired and wireless MT devices.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=143620

jollytall
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:05 pm

Thanks anav,

Yesterday you already recommended this article what I had also found and had read many times. I do not find in it the replies to my two specific questions. As I mentioned before, it is easy to miss important parts in the lengthy second half of the thread, so apologies, if I missed it. Could you point me to the area where I can get answer to the specific questions?

Thanks,

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:58 pm

On my Mikrotik all-in router I would like to set-up two WLAN VLANs, and I have two questions:

Is there any difference between two ssid-s, if I set-up one on wlan1 (physical interface) and one on a virtual wlan built on the first physical one? I guess here e.g. speed, hw acceleration, security, etc.
The only difference between master interface (physical) and slave interface (virtual) is the SSID-specific settings (SSID itself, security settings, VLAN ID). The rest is exactly the same (actually you can't change certain things on slave interface, all slaves (there can be more than one) share those with master interface).

Where is the best to set the VLAN for the WLAN?
As far as I can see, both work. The question again, is there any speed, security, etc. difference to prefer one over the other?
The difference is more or less cosmetic. In the past, when bridge was no VLAN-aware (i.e. no bridge-vlan-filtering), the only way was to set VID on WLAN interfaces. This option still exists. However I'd choose the new possibility i.e. setting PVID on each WLAN port as bridge member. This way all the VLAN-related settings are kept in one place (bridge).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:49 pm

As MKX stated and under the ACCESS POINT for example, illustrated in the confg!

Here are the three vlans it talks about under access point.
One clearly sees in wirless settings, no mention of vlans ..........................

# Blue SSID
/interface wireless security-profiles set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk mode=dynamic-keys wpa2-pre-shared-key="password"
/interface wireless set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] ssid=BLUE_SSID frequency=auto mode=ap-bridge disabled=no

# Green SSID
/interface wireless security-profiles add name=GREEN_PROFILE authentication-types=wpa2-psk mode=dynamic-keys wpa2-pre-shared-key="password"
/interface wireless add name=wlan2 ssid=GREEN_SSID master-interface=wlan1 security-profile=GREEN_PROFILE disabled=no

# Red SSID
/interface wireless security-profiles add name=RED_PROFILE authentication-types=wpa2-psk mode=dynamic-keys wpa2-pre-shared-key="password"
/interface wireless add name=wlan3 ssid=RED_SSID master-interface=wlan1 security-profile=RED_PROFILE disabled=no

Here is the next section
Clearly PVID is shown in the Bridge port settings........
ingress behavior
/interface bridge port

# Blue, Green, Red VLAN
add bridge=BR1 interface=wlan1 pvid=10
add bridge=BR1 interface=wlan2 pvid=20
add bridge=BR1 interface=wlan3 pvid=30

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

All that aside, what I would like to know is what could have been better stated or what is missing in the reference document that you think should be added to make things clearer.
Obviously I am unable to make that determination looking at the document for so long that its hard me for to find the holes.
Please advise!

jollytall
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:34 pm

mkx,
Thanks for the clear answer.

anav,
Sorry, I still do not get your point. I had read the thread, made it like it is written there and it worked. But I also found the other way, where the VLAN is already set in the WLAN and hence not under the bridge. That one also worked. So my question was only directed to understand the difference between the two approaches, benefits of one vs. the other.
So one thing might be added for guys like me who find this second option is to mention, e.g.: "for historical reasons, when bridge was no VLAN-aware, this set-up could have been achieved by setting the VLAN on the WLAN. This option still exists. However it is recommended to use the new possibility i.e. setting PVID on each WLAN port as bridge member. This way all the VLAN-related settings are kept in one place (bridge)." (copied (c) largely form mkx's reply)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:24 pm

It should be noted that other brands of Access Points also assign the vlans to the WLANs.
I prefer the bridge ports do this work and let wireless settings focus on wireless settings.

I do not know which method is more efficient or optimal but hopefully others can provide input.