Community discussions

MikroTik App

blueyonderer
just joined
Topic Author

Force lower speed on SFP+ port

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:32 pm

Hi,

I've just bought a CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ router for my home network to replace an Asus 'gaming' router that I've run for a few years. I've got everything up and running OK, so far, apart from one thing...

My ISP provides a connection that's just over 1Gbit so I've bonded a couple of 1Gbit ports to the cable modem to allow full speed web access and I've connected the CCR1009 to a 10Gbit capable switch via a 10Gbit Copper module (Mikrotik S+RJ10). I only want to run this connection at 2.5Gbps however to avoid any heat issues but I can't find a way to force the SFP+ port to run at this speed. Since both devices are capable of 10Gbit they both want to seem to run at that speed. (Edit: the switch is capable of 1/2.5/5/10Gbit but there's no way to force it on there either.) I've changed the Ethernet options on the SFP+ port to only advertise '2.5G full' but this makes no difference. If I turn off autonegotiation on the port, no intermediate speeds between 1G and 10G are listed: so I'm stuck.

Does anyone know a way to achieve this? I'm not averse to using the command line, if necessary.

Any help gratefully received...

Thanks