Community discussions

MikroTik App

agatek
just joined
Topic Author

vlan basics

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:31 am

Hello! I would like to separate the LAN dedicated to various IoT and home automation devices from my regular LAN. Currently I have it like this:
(WAN-[fibre GW]-[heX S (bridge eth4+sfp)-[unmanaged switch 1]-[unmanaged switch2];[hAP mini]-[fibre GW])
hAP mini is the node dedicated to IoT devices.

The problem is the devices are in various places and the walls between them are rather thick. There is also no space to carry another physical line (neither twisted pair nor fibre) but the home LAN is everywhere.

Initially I was thinking of doing this:
(WAN-[fibre GW]-[heX S (bridge eth4+sfp)-[unmanaged switch 1]-[unmanaged switch2];[hAP mini]-[fibre GW];[hAP mini 2]-[unmanaged switch 2])
..and creating a bridge between hAP and hAP2 using EoP, but somebody told me doing it based on vlans would be more elegant and perhaps more practical. The problem is I am pretty much vlan (and network protocols) illiterate so I am not even sure what is technically possible. Could you help me please with some very basic questions? First of them would be like this:
(WAN-[fibre GW]-[heX S (bridge eth4+sfp)-[unmanaged switch 1]-[unmanaged switch 2];[hAP mini]-[unmanaged switch 1];[hAP mini 2]-[unmanaged switch 2])
For the above, can vlan separation be done with unmanaged switches? Again, the main point is, the IoT devices should have not access to the home LAN but utilizing physical infrastructure of home LAN.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: vlan basics

Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:31 pm

Replace the first unmanaged switch with a managed switch is the easy answer.
Then it can move vlans to both hap minis as required and feed the homelan vlan to the unmanaged switch
The managed switch itself can also provide any output at its ports, as required.
This assumes you only have one ethernet line available between the Router and the managed switch and better connectivity after the switch for optionis.

...........................................................................---------------------------->hap mini
ROUTER ---------------------------> Managed Switch -------------------------->Unmanaged Switch
..............................................................................---------------------------->hap mini

agatek
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:36 am

Replace the first unmanaged switch with a managed switch is the easy answer.
Then it can move vlans to both hap minis as required and feed the homelan vlan to the unmanaged switch
The managed switch itself can also provide any output at its ports, as required.
This assumes you only have one ethernet line available between the Router and the managed switch and better connectivity after the switch for optionis.

...........................................................................---------------------------->hap mini
ROUTER ---------------------------> Managed Switch -------------------------->Unmanaged Switch
..............................................................................---------------------------->hap mini
Thank you. I ordered a managed switch.
For the sake of discussion, could EoIP be considered? (providing I make the traffic between the two hAPs routable)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:48 am

EOIP as far as I know is really for traffic exiting the router and connecting to another router elsewhere ( Home to Home, Office to Office) and not for traffic behind a single router??