Community discussions

MikroTik App

aah
Topic Author

Help a beginner with accessing a second Mikrotik router not using RoMON

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:25 am

Hi all,

I new to Mikrotik, and to make matters worse, I just have a basic understanding of networking fundamentals. So, please bear with me.
I recently signed up for a second ISP (both ISPs are P2P and both radios are set up on the roof). Problem is I only have one twisted pair coming inside from the roof. So, I bought a RB941 to deploy as an interim router. Set up 3 VLANS on it. VLAN 101 (ISP 1), VLAN 102 (ISP 2), VLAN 110 (Administration). All three exiting through ether3 and coming in to the main router via ehter1. On RB941, I assigned VLAN 110 an IP address (let's say 192.168.10.1/24). Now, from the main router in my house I want to access the RB941 on Winbox. My LAN subnet is 192.168.1.0/24. I configured an IP address on my main router for VLAN110 (let's say 192.168.10.3/24). I have ping to the RB941 but Winbox doesn't see the RB941. From this point on, I am stuck. I am not sure whether this is a routing table issue, NAT, or just a filter rule would do the job. I am sure for you guys this is just an afterthought, yet any help would be much appreciated.

Hominidae

Re: Help a beginner with accessing a second Mikrotik router not using RoMON

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:23 am

Problem is I only have one twisted pair coming inside from the roof.
If this is a "full", 8-wire twisted pair, like for 1Gbps links (CAT5e or above), you can split the cable into two 4-wire "cables" (then 100M each) with a pair of these: https://www.newegg.com/p/1Z5-0023-00024 ... klink=true

aah
Topic Author

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:54 am

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Firstly, I checked your link out. It mentions two cables are not supported at the same time, which is exactly what I want. Secondly, my ISPs are working just fine. It's just that I would like to access the interim router itself, if say I want to add some new configs or change something...

Hominidae

Re: Help a beginner with accessing a second Mikrotik router not using RoMON  [SOLVED]

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:27 pm

I checked your link out. It mentions two cables are not supported at the same time, which is exactly what I want.
Yes I know and I've seen that statement in the ads, too
But in your case, this is misleading.
The statement refers to the fact, that some people are trying to use one of these as a switch, connecting the single-side to a dsl-modem or router and two PCs on the double-port side, then expecting for both PCs to have a shared acces to the modem & Internet connection. Which indeed will not work with this adapater

That is, why I linked to an ad, containing a pair of these things.
What these do is splitting the 8-wire, 1G cable into 2x4-wires, 100M cables....this is why you need two of them.
By putting your single cable in the middle of these two adapters, you receive two individual ports on each side of the adapter, connected through the single cable.
Two ports, one for each of your ISP Modems/routers upstairs, that then end up at Adapter#2, downstairs.

Here is another one, where you can see a picture of how the wiring flows between them: https://www.amazon.de/kwmobile-Netzwerk ... 244&sr=8-3

Secondly, my ISPs are working just fine. It's just that I would like to access the interim router itself, if say I want to add some new configs or change something...
Yes, I perfectly know.
Please see above.
With the physical setup, your interim router is now downstairs and you can access it directly from a local port....no VLAN stuff or else needed....configure it in a Dual-WAN setup.
The only "downside" is, the each connection from your ISP1 and -2 will be limited to 100Mbps, as you are splitting the physically good 8-wire cable in half, meaning into two 4-wire cables, which then are only able to connect at 100M max. each.

Edit:
Now, from the main router in my house I want to access the RB941 on Winbox. My LAN subnet is 192.168.1.0/24.
Examine the firewall rules on your RB941. You want to accept connections from LAN 192.168.1.0/24 into the input chain.
There should already be an interface list, that will allow this...add your LAN segment to that list

aah
Topic Author

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:25 am

Thank you so much.. That did the job (config-ing a second route on the interim router)..