Community discussions

MikroTik App

gregostrander
just joined
Topic Author

Do I need to Upgrade my Mikrotik to Take Advantage of Fiber?

Mon May 03, 2021 6:04 am

I am not network savvy and I just upgraded to Google Fiber from a Comcast 250Mbps connection. I have an RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN and was thinking it would be sufficient. However, while I get 900Mbps when connecting my computer directly to the fiber jack, and 900Mbps when I connect the fiber jack to a Netgear GS316 Switch and the switch to the fiber jack, I max out at around 350Mbps when I run the fiber jack to my Mikrotik and then to my computer. I am not using the wireless portion of the Mikrotik (it is off), so if I need to upgrade it I would likely opt for a wired version. Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated. If my current router should be sufficient, please let me know if there is a simple settings check that I should perform to see what is wrong. Thanks in advance.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Do I need to Upgrade my Mikrotik to Take Advantage of Fiber?

Mon May 03, 2021 6:12 am

I am not network savvy and I just upgraded to Google Fiber from a Comcast 250Mbps connection. I have an RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN and was thinking it would be sufficient.
Yes, you should upgrade. For sizing, go onto the products page and look at the device "Test Results" tab, specifically the 512 byte packet 25 ip filter rule routing performance. That will give you a good general idea of the real world maximum throughput of your device. For the RB2011 it shows 244.1Mbps, which shows that it was just fast enough for your old service.
2011performance.JPG
In some cases you can get a little more (with fasttrack etc), but for a reasonable configuration I would agree with sizing the RB2011 for a maximum of around 250Mbps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gregostrander
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 03, 2021 6:17 am

Perfect. That is very helpful and it looks like the 4011 is the right answer with some headroom beyond as well. Thanks.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 03, 2021 1:35 pm

The 25 simple queues is more representative of home setup throughput but yes that the right area to simulate one way throughput.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 03, 2021 3:46 pm

The 25 simple queues is more representative of home setup throughput ...

How so? I'd expect most home users to have zero queues defined and at least default firewall filter rules (around 10 IIRC).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 03, 2021 9:21 pm

Basing on real world experience with hex and rb450Gx4.
If you found it to be closer to 25 IP rules, then so be it, just passing on my intimate relationship with marketing numbers.