Community discussions

MikroTik App

xero
just joined
Topic Author

A specific WiFi problem with hAP ac^3

Tue May 04, 2021 6:41 pm

Hi everyone.

Few months ago, I bought a hAP ac^3 Mikrotik router. Overall everything is fine but I have an annoying problem with WiFi connection.
Whenever I listen to music via Spotify or even locally from Synology NAS - the sound is interrupted every few/several seconds - Short millisecond pauses.

I changed the router to a different one and everything was fine without any interrupts. But I want to stay with Mikrotik ;)

I use Huawei Matebook (Realtek 8822CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC Card), Distance to the router is about 5m. Connection set up at 300mbps, ping about 1-2ms.

I attach MT configuration. Please help :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: A specific WiFi problem with hAP ac^3

Thu May 06, 2021 3:39 pm

What causes the interrupts? Probably other signal interfering.

Take control of your setup: check your environment (Freq Usage, Snooper) and avoid other traffic. Activate WMM priority based on DSCP for multimedia.

- Frequency = auto : you have no idea what you will get! Other brand may select other frequencies
- Channel Width = 20/40MHz-XX : no very wise to use 40 MHz wide channels in 2.4 GHz band, you interfere with 60% of all frequencies. You have no control on Ce or eC with XX.
- Music interrupted for other traffic. The priority for WMM does not work in Mikrotik, unless you set a priority rule in the firewall. Everything is priority=0 (just BE, best effort) if not set with a mangle rule
/ip firewall mangle
add action=set-priority chain=forward \
new-priority=from-dscp-high-3-bits
(WMM will give acces to air-time (right to transmit) sooner for higher priority streams in a competing wifi environment)
(remember AMPDU is only set for priority=0 in HT by default. Without AMPDU you will have a large overhead and slower throughput. You might need to set AMPDU for the other priorities)

kirenida
just joined

Thu May 13, 2021 3:13 pm

- Music interrupted for other traffic. The priority for WMM does not work in Mikrotik, unless you set a priority rule in the firewall. Everything is priority=0 (just BE, best effort) if not set with a mangle rule
/ip firewall mangle
add action=set-priority chain=forward \
new-priority=from-dscp-high-3-bits
(WMM will give acces to air-time (right to transmit) sooner for higher priority streams in a competing wifi environment)
(remember AMPDU is only set for priority=0 in HT by default. Without AMPDU you will have a large overhead and slower throughput. You might need to set AMPDU for the other priorities)
Hi, I have a similar problem to this and have posted a question, but got no answers, and this seems that it could help. My question: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=174745

I tried adding this mangle rule to my config, but had no improvement.
Even when I just look at the number of packets in that mangle, it's really low and does not increase when I play music.

Then I spent some time reading about WMM, AMPDU and related topics, but I'm no closer to a solution.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 13, 2021 5:57 pm

RTS/CTS?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 13, 2021 9:06 pm

DSCP must be set before, e.g. my streaming NAS does this, if not either set priority yourselves based on firewall rule selection, or set DSCP.
Maybe this helps: https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 103908.pdf