Community discussions

MikroTik App

TorbeeNorbee
just joined
Topic Author

How to forward VLAN as a switch on routerboard? Looking to solve IPTV

Fri May 07, 2021 8:57 am

Hi There

My NAT from ISP is in Bridge PPPoE Passthrough.
I use my Mikrotik Routerboard as the router, and it connects to my ISP via PPPoE.

IPTV doesn't work. I tried the IGMP Proxy setup and all that, but no luck. Someone from the ISP suggested to simply pass the VLAN through the mikrotik so it talks direct to the NAT as then IPTV will work, and to simply dedicate a port to it.

How would I set this up?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to forward VLAN as a switch on routerboard? Looking to solve IPTV

Fri May 07, 2021 11:28 am

Depends on how exactly your ISP delivers services. But let's assume its like this: you get PPPoE untagged and IPTV tagged vith VLAN ID 1000. Both services are passed over same physical connection.
Now you have to create something that will pass VLAN ID 1000 to port where you have IPTV clients. Ideally you would configure VLANs according to this (general) VLAN guide. WAN port will be hybrid port: untagged for PPPoE and tagged for IPTV. Then you would add another port to VLAN 1000 ... what kind very much depends on how IPTV client expects it. E.g. if it expects IPTV service over tagged, then this port will be tagged member of VLAN 1000. You will probably want to allow also some internet access to IPTV client, possibly over untagged, so the port on RB in question will at the same time be untagged for appropriate LAN subnet (I'm using separate subnet for IPTV boxes but you could add those to normal LAN if you trust your ISP).