Community discussions

MikroTik App

benoitc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

do you let 1U between routers and switches?

Sat May 08, 2021 2:59 am

Do you let 1 empty U between a router and a switch on a rack when you can? Since both the CCR2004 and the CRS317 do passive cooling , I am wondering if I shouldn't let 1 U between them. Especially since I have 2 routers and 2 switches (to do VRRP and SRTP for failover)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: do you let 1U between routers and switches?

Sat May 08, 2021 10:10 am

You need 1U cable organizer for every switch/rourer .. which solves your problem as well.

benoitc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat May 08, 2021 12:38 pm

but what if I just stack them like they are sometimes? Will it increase the heat?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: do you let 1U between routers and switches?  [SOLVED]

Sat May 08, 2021 1:22 pm

With passive cooled devices the main problem with setup in your photograph is adjacent placement of S-RJ modules. Specially the 10Gbps modules (1G modules as well but to slightly lesser extent) produce quite a lot of heat and passively cooled devices can not deal with it efficiently. MT published recomendation to use S+RJ10 module in every other SFP place to allow better cooling (optical SFP modules create an order of magnitude less heat so it's OK to populate all SFP "holes" with those).

As cooling block at the back of devices can be one above the top one will likely run a bit warmer than the bottom one. I would leave 1U space between them.
Even if you're going to use optical cables for most connections, a cable organizer between each of devices would help with cables. But then I guess organisation of cables boils down to personal preferences ...

benoitc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat May 08, 2021 3:43 pm

thanks! Also thanks for the hint wit the S-RJ modules. I will do the change :)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 08, 2021 9:11 pm

There is almost no heat transfer through the top- and bottom plate, so for heat it will not make much of a difference.
The heat should be transferred out of the units by airflow through front and back.

You can leave the space when you have it, e.g. using cable organizers or other panels (like the RJ45), but I would not think too much about that.
Indeed the distribution of SFP modules is probably more important.

benoitc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun May 23, 2021 11:35 am

There is almost no heat transfer through the top- and bottom plate, so for heat it will not make much of a difference.
The heat should be transferred out of the units by airflow through front and back.
I may be too much worried about that, thoughI noticed that top and bottom are getting hot over the time. That why I envisionned to let 1U in between. But maybe it's normal?
You can leave the space when you have it, e.g. using cable organizers or other panels (like the RJ45), but I would not think too much about that.
Indeed the distribution of SFP modules is probably more important.
I am doing that now. Thank you for the additional info/ Let see if it helps :)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 23, 2021 1:01 pm

Ok and when you have passive cooled devices (I did not check exactly which devices are passive cooled) from MikroTik there usually is the option to mount a small fan in the rackmounted version, even when it is not fitted from factory. That should help a lot.