Community discussions

MikroTik App

AL1500A7
just joined
Topic Author

How to disable firewall completely

Mon May 10, 2021 4:32 am

Newbie question:
I just bought the MikroTIK HEX S and would like to split my internet connection into 2 segments with NO FIREWALL on either since I have a firewall on
my trusted LAN that I want to use instead. Is there a way to open this device up completely to share my connection without the firewall blocking anything? I understand the firewall in enabled by default and I don't want that.
Just trying to split my internet into two segments directly after my MODEM - one going to my firewall, and the other wide open to a DMZ I am creating
Thanks.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to disable firewall completely

Mon May 10, 2021 12:30 pm

Just delete all the rules in the firewall filter and you will have no firewall.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 10, 2021 2:58 pm

So you have two IP addresses (or more) supplied by the ISP and more than one ethernet jack?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 10, 2021 7:13 pm

I just bought the MikroTIK HEX S and would like to split my internet connection into 2 segments with NO FIREWALL on either since I have a firewall on
my trusted LAN that I want to use instead.

So essentially you need an ethernet switch.

AL1500A7
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2021 4:02 am

A switch doesn't have a WAN port or that's what I'd be using, but essentially you are correct.
Just trying to split my home internet connection into two segments immediately after the modem.
One to the firewall with the trusted segment behind it, and the other to a DMZ with no filtering.

AL1500A7
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2021 4:07 am

So you have two IP addresses (or more) supplied by the ISP and more than one ethernet jack?
No just one. I am trying to split my single IP, home internet connection into two segments immediately after the modem.
I have a firewall to protect my trusted segment, and the other will be a DMZ with no filtering to start off with.

AL1500A7
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2021 4:08 am

Just delete all the rules in the firewall filter and you will have no firewall.
Thank You. I will give it a try.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 11, 2021 4:52 pm

No just one. I am trying to split my single IP, home internet connection into two segments immediately after the modem.

In case you only have single WAN IP address, your device will have to perform NAT and port forwarding for both segments. In ROS NAT is actually function of firewall so you won't get away without using firewall. Your device will have at least 2 IP addresses (WAN address and at least one if not two private address) and you absolutely need firewall running for protection of device itself.

So I don't see any reason not to run full firewall even if you intend to have additional firewalls behind this device (two is better than one athough in case of some problems it will be harder to find the culprit).

nakimble
just joined

Thu May 13, 2021 10:50 am

Plus, a DMZ is normally relaxed security where you're allowing Internet access to certain services you're hosting. Very rarely do you want to be wide open to the Internet with no firewall, even in Honeypot setups. As someone else pointed out, you're going to need NAT, which is a firewall feature, unless your ISP gave you routable IPs for your DMZ.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 13, 2021 11:41 am

I wanted to do this recently - was basically setting up a private subnet off a network but didn't care about firewall. From memory, I wasn't able to delete all the firewall rules. Need to check again.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 13, 2021 12:00 pm

You can delete all rules except some "automatically created rules for tracking" but when you delete all others and then reboot the router, those automatic ones are gone as well.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 13, 2021 2:43 pm

Ah ha! Thx....