Community discussions

MikroTik App

Towilk
just joined
Topic Author

Routing between Bridges (?)

Mon May 10, 2021 1:04 pm

Hello,
i just tried to setup a Mikrotik router with two bridges.
I will use the Bridge1 only for connecting both Controllers together in a small network (separated from Bridge2) -
but i would like to configure the webinterface of both controllers from PC located in Bridge2.
I tried several options (NAT , Routes - etc..) but did not found a working solution - no ping or access to the other network was possible..
I will do a complete new setup - so i can make a complete new configuration.

Question:
What would be the correct (and easiest) way to setup / configure two networks with possibility to access IP`s in the other network?
(with bridges / without bridges ? Routes ? NAT ?)
Network1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Routing between Bridges (?)

Mon May 10, 2021 2:56 pm

PUT THEM ON THE SAME BRIDGE.

VLAN10=controllers
VLAN20=PC users

Forward chain.

allow pcusers to internet
allow pcuser 1 to controllers
drop all else

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Routing between Bridges (?)

Mon May 10, 2021 4:34 pm

Either using single bridge as per suggestion by @anav or using two bridges, the issue is the same. What you have to keep in mind is the following: bridge and VLAN are L2 entities. Subnets belonging to different L2 entities can not communicate without aide of L3 entity, which is router. Router is characterized by presence of two (or more) interfaces with IP address and willingness to forward packets between those interfaces. As "R" in name of ROS indicates, it will route between subnets unless configured not to. There are a few things which prevent successful communication between clients of different subnets:
  • lack of needed L3 configuration on router for all involved subnets
  • firewall rules on router blocking traffic between subnets
  • firewall rules on subnet clients blocking connections from different subnets
  • configuration of routing on clients causing traffic destined towards another subnet to be routed via gateway unaware of destination subnet
  • etc.

It is impossible to say which is the one in your particular case without knowing actual device's configuration and without knowing approximate client configuration ...