Community discussions

MikroTik App

andyh747
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

IPv6 For Internal LAN - Google Nest Protect

Mon May 10, 2021 10:29 pm

I’ve setup a MikroTik SXT LTE6 unit for a customer and all has worked well for a year or so. However they asked me to install some Nest Protect smoke alarms. The Protects connected to the network initially without any problem but they keep dropping off the WiFi network and I’m wondering if this is connected to them needing IPv6 for their internal LAN communication - this is according to Google and many reports on the internet.
Currently the SXT is not configured for IPv6 and the ISP (Three mobile) does not provide an IPv6 address from the WAN side. Is it possible to enable IPv6 on the SXT so that clients within the LAN can utilise this without affecting the currently IPv4 setup on the LTE interface?

Sorry if this is really basic but I have no clue with regards IPv6 and nothing I’ve read on the forums have made any sense. I’m not convinced this IPv6 requirement for these devices Is accurate but it is on the official Google guidance where it states to make sure your router is IPv6 enabled.

Any help appreciated.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPv6 For Internal LAN - Google Nest Protect

Mon May 10, 2021 11:10 pm

That seems to be a somewhat random requirement, any devices can use IPv6 link-local addresses for communication within a layer 2 network regardless of router settings.

If the devices initially connect and work but later drop off the network a support article suggests "Set your Wi-Fi router's DHCP lease time to at least 2 hours. This can help ensure your Nest products stay connected to your network. Any setting lower than 2 hours may prevent your Nest products from reconnecting to your network, even if the connection drops out for half a second or less." - again a rather random requirement.

andyh747
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: IPv6 For Internal LAN - Google Nest Protect

Mon May 10, 2021 11:23 pm

Yes I agree completely and there’s no real explanation as to why this is needed.

The lease time is set to 1 day so it’s not that causing it. I have a few other things to check but was hoping to cover all the bases and ensure it wasn’t related to IPv6 issues. Everything else connects fine although the Amazon Echos are also causing a few problems with being initially difficult to connect. Once connected they’re fine but the initial connection can be troublesome.