Community discussions

MikroTik App

ishanjain
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

How do I get a IPv6 address from my ISP using SLAAC?

Tue May 11, 2021 8:00 pm

Good evening!

My LTE provider uses SLAAC to distribute IPv6 address. They respond with a NoPrefixAvail and NoAddressAvail message in DHCPv6 queries. How do I get IPv6 address using SLAAC?

With tcpdump, I _know_ that the mikrotik router is receiving Router Advertisements from the LTE modem. I have accept-router-advertisements set to Yes.

But it does not use this information to generate a IPv6 address at all. From this post, viewtopic.php?t=162085#p798589, I _think _ that somehow I am _manually_ supposed to figure out the prefix in RA and use that to generate an IPv6 address(using EUI64).

Is this really how this is supposed to be done? Why don't we have half decent SLAAC support in mikrotik routers or am I doing this completely wrong?

ishanjain
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: How do I get a IPv6 address from my ISP using SLAAC?

Fri May 21, 2021 10:33 pm

BUMP

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: How do I get a IPv6 address from my ISP using SLAAC?

Fri May 21, 2021 10:45 pm

Stateless address is not received by DHCP.

If accept-router-advertisements is enabled and ISP is actually sending stateless address, then RouterOS will install it, but it will not show in Ipv6 address list. Only way to check if it actually works is to try to ping some ipv6 address in providers network (it you know any).