Community discussions

MikroTik App

Lostausername
just joined
Topic Author

CPE mode

Wed May 12, 2021 2:30 am

[img]I have a mikrotik access point with router OS version v6.48.2 installed. I live in the middle of nowhere. The only service in my area is comcast, which unfortunatly stops about 300 feet from my driveway. I have the access point mounted out front pointed in the direction of my nearest neighbor with wifi. Comcast offers free hot spot to their existing customers. I have comcast at home, so I can use my home username and password to connect to the free hotspot. The hotspot keeps up with account verification by mac address. What i did was drive to my neighbors and connect with my phone. at that point, the mac address of my phone is logged as approcved on the network. I then used my phones mac address as the wlan mac in the mikrotik setup page. I have internet that tests around 20 megabit, but it isnt stable. My connection numbers look good, S/N ratio, signal strength, etc, but it isnt very stable. every five to ten minutes, my computer says identifying in network connections, i lose internet for about 2 minutes, and then its back. I cant figure out why. is there some other way i should be doing this? should i have the antenna forward ip addresses from the comcast modem? is there a setting i should change? i used the quickset to get it working, and have changed nothing else. please help, im losing my mind over this.
Capture.JPG
Screenshot 2021-05-07 203910.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CPE mode

Wed May 12, 2021 12:54 pm

If Client and AP are not in Line Of Sight, they do not work as expected on long range (300ft =~92 meter),
and also your phone wifi still exist and act as jammer because have the same MAC address.
It's near a miracle sometime works, two access point at 92 meter inside houses and other obstacles outside....

Lostausername
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CPE mode

Wed May 12, 2021 10:42 pm

no, the service stops about 300 feet from my driveway. which is about 200 feet long, plus the ap i am connecting to is about 600 feet from that. for a total distance of about 1100 feet. and i used an old phone that i dont bring to work, so the mac address is a non issue. yes the client and ap are approx. 1100 feet, but they are line of sight. i think it has to be a setting. even when i lose connectivity to the internet, i can still access the setup page of the antenna, and it never loses connection to the ap...