Community discussions

MikroTik App

Spoonsy1480
Topic Author

Plex limited connection on local network

Sun May 23, 2021 9:31 pm

On my home network I only get limited connection when I use plex app on Appletv how can I set this so it doesn’t do this

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Plex limited connection on local network

Sun May 23, 2021 10:00 pm

You might want to try here : https://forums.plex.tv/

You really are going to have to put a little more effort in describing your problem.
This is like saying ; When I'm in my car I hear a sort of humming, how come ?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 23, 2021 10:14 pm

I am not sure what the issue, is?
I have the plex and emby apps on my apptetv and they work fine.
I am using servers on the internet by the way. No special settings.

Spoonsy1480
Topic Author

Sun May 23, 2021 10:25 pm

Plex is on a docker as host, with port forwarding set up to the server, It plays perfectly away from home.
When I try and use plex app on my my iPhone and appletv I get limited connection and nothing plays.
I have read that it could be dnsmasq but I have no idea what that is or how to change it, looking for some help

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 23, 2021 10:59 pm

network diagram and config
/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

Spoonsy1480
Topic Author

Sun May 23, 2021 11:04 pm

network diagram and config
What will this do?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 23, 2021 11:24 pm

The network diagram will fully explain the connectivity between component of the network and if annotated with Ip addresses will explain the subnet relationships.
The config is something you can create from the terminal part of winbox,
It then puts the file into the FILES selection in winbox and then you can download it, open it with notepad++
then paste in here.

Just be sure to use the CODE tags on the same line above as B and Underline (its the black square with white square brackets)/

Spoonsy1480
Topic Author

Sun May 23, 2021 11:34 pm

The network diagram will fully explain the connectivity between component of the network and if annotated with Ip addresses will explain the subnet relationships.
The config is something you can create from the terminal part of winbox,
It then puts the file into the FILES selection in winbox and then you can download it, open it with notepad++
then paste in here.

Just be sure to use the CODE tags on the same line above as B and Underline (its the black square with white square brackets)/
Where do I find this ?

Spoonsy1480
Topic Author

Sun May 23, 2021 11:45 pm

I think it’s dns rebinding that is the problem as it’s the same as unRAID.net
How do I add plex.direct and unraid.net to my router so I can access them using the domain name and not my ipaddress ie UnRAID.net and app.plex.tv

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun May 23, 2021 11:49 pm

Plex is on a docker as host, with port forwarding set up to the server, It plays perfectly away from home.
When I try and use plex app on my my iPhone and appletv I get limited connection and nothing plays.
I have read that it could be dnsmasq but I have no idea what that is or how to change it, looking for some help
Plex app on your phone ? And your are connected on WIFI on your LOCAL LAN ? What is the purpose of the iphone ? If the Plexapp is on AppleTV, and AppleTV connected to a TV-set, why not control the Plex-app on AppleTV with the remote while you are at home ?

Anyway, it might be related to "hairpin nat" ? On your iPhone / Plex-app, what "server" information is filled in ? Your public IP ? Some DNS-name ?

You probably try to call the same hostname (eg. plexserver.mydomain.something) from inside your home local network ??

Spoonsy1480
Topic Author

Sun May 23, 2021 11:59 pm

Plex app on your phone ? And your are connected on WIFI on your LOCAL LAN ? What is the purpose of the iphone ? If the Plexapp is on AppleTV, and AppleTV connected to a TV-set, why not control the Plex-app on AppleTV with the remote while you are at home ?

Anyway, it might be related to "hairpin nat" ? On your iPhone / Plex-app, what "server" information is filled in ? Your public IP ? Some DNS-name ?

You probably try to call the same hostname (eg. plexserver.mydomain.something) from inside your home local network ??
Appletv has its own app and so does iPhone when you connect you join to app.plex.tv not your local server if I could just put in the ipaddress it would be easier for me I dont have a domain setup on it I could I have a domain for other things but not plex

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 24, 2021 3:39 am

no network diagram,
no config
unable to help............

If you use winbox, find NEW terminal on the left hand menu and type in

Then go to FILES on the left hand menu and
file the file name and right click and download to your PC.

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon May 24, 2021 9:24 am

Appletv has its own app and so does iPhone when you connect you join to app.plex.tv not your local server if I could just put in the ipaddress it would be easier for me I dont have a domain setup on it I could I have a domain for other things but not plex
I'm sure you can add your local IP/hostname of any server you run locally. I run Plex for years on Tizen (Samsung TV) , Android & iPhone and each of these apps you can always in the advanced settings override and put something else.
On your LOCAL Plex server, on "Settings" > "Remote Access" does it say fully "OK" ? (green) and tells you the Plex is accessible from the outside ? Does it indicate something like "relaying" or "limited bandwidth" or someting ???
That means your local content is streaming via de Plex cloud-servers and bandwidth is limited (not optimal)

Under "Settings" -> "Network" , what is selected with "Enable local network discovery (GDM) ? Again, depending docker-setup this might fail too as docker actually uses "NAT" by default and uses an internal 172.x.x.x IP for a docker-container and exposes some ports (that you make in your port-mapping config) to the local LAN.

So the things is, depending on how you configured your container (docker) on the Network side, the IP-address of the Plex might differ from your local LAN. Are you using "bridging" on the docker side, so "use the host network-settings" of some sort ?

Bottom line : again 10 possible causes, and (probably) nothing "Mikrotik" related. IF your remote-access works OK and you can remotely view content from your HOME-server, then at least your Mikrotik seems to work.