MikroTik App

Chaosphere64
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

OSPF over SSTP - works great but why?

Sun May 30, 2021 2:09 am

Hi everyone,

I have less a problem than a question of understanding. The issue is that I have set up an SSTP tunnel between two MikroTik routers (CHR and RB 4011) and, based on this, OSPF is running in point-to-point mode and advertising networks.

As far as I know, OSPF uses multicast (224.0.0.x) in broadcast and point-to-point mode to send hello packets, set up adjecancies, etc. And furthermore, I assume that PtP VPN tunnels like SSTP do not transmit multicast traffic.

So my simple question would be: why does this work anyway?

Thanks in advance

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Re: OSPF over SSTP - works great but why?

Sun May 30, 2021 2:47 am

As far as I know, OSPF uses multicast (224.0.0.x) in broadcast and point-to-point mode to send hello packets, set up adjecancies, etc. And furthermore, I assume that PtP VPN tunnels like SSTP do not transmit multicast traffic.
They do transmit multicast. You can do OSPF over any PPP tunnel in point-to-point mode. Most likely the packets to the multicast address are simply "flooded" across the PPP tunnel, and therefore treated much like unicast to the other side.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 30, 2021 2:59 am

@Chaosphere64

Does SSTP into ospf network? if yes, what you expecting?

Chaosphere64
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun May 30, 2021 2:34 pm

They do transmit multicast. You can do OSPF over any PPP tunnel in point-to-point mode. Most likely the packets to the multicast address are simply "flooded" across the PPP tunnel, and therefore treated much like unicast to the other side.
So then I was probably wrong about that point.

Thanks for clearing things up!