Community discussions

MikroTik App

silajim
just joined
Topic Author

Is this possible?

Mon May 31, 2021 9:32 pm

I want to put an isp "router" behind a hap ac2 in order to have it offer (the isp router) phone lines while the hap takes care of internet. Would that be possible?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is this possible?

Mon May 31, 2021 9:40 pm

Probably not enough information to make a determination.
How are the internet and voice handled by the ISP, both coming in on separate vlans??

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 31, 2021 9:52 pm

I want to put an isp "router" behind a hap ac2 in order to have it offer (the isp router) phone lines while the hap takes care of internet. Would that be possible?
I want repaint my house with same color of my friend house, how much paint I need and what color should I buy it?

silajim
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 31, 2021 9:57 pm

Yes they are different vlans and different logins

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 31, 2021 11:45 pm

Sure its possible then.
Many ways to do it. Also do you have one cable coming from the modem or are there two or at least options for more than one?

Basically the idea is that you want to terminate the internet vlan on the HAPAC for the network and then pass the wan phone vlan data onto the ISP router, pretty straight forward concept.

silajim
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:00 am

Sure its possible then.
Many ways to do it. Also do you have one cable coming from the modem or are there two or at least options for more than one?

Basically the idea is that you want to terminate the internet vlan on the HAPAC for the network and then pass the wan phone vlan data onto the ISP router, pretty straight forward concept.
There is only 1 cable coming out of the ont.
I theorized that it was possible but I wasn't sure, any more info on how to do it? (I am not asking for a step by step tutorial, just where to start looking)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is this possible?  [SOLVED]

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:37 pm

Well not quite sure, but I would start with the following (and by no means necessarily correct or the best way)!!

I would create two VLANS
ISP-Data - vlan ID matches the vlan that the ISP provides for internet INTERFACE=ETHER1
ISP-Voice - vlan ID matches the vlan that the ISP uses for voice. INTERFACE=hapBridge

ON DHCP client I would identify the ISP Data vlan
ON WAN interface I would identify the ISP Data vlan

For the hapBridge put all the Etherports on the bridge including ether1.

Bridge port settings for etherports as required. Trunk port would be ether1 for sure and also for hapac port going to voice router if it can read vlans (assuming yes).
All other etherports would be tagged or untagged for the vlans you create for subnet traffic on the hapac.

GLuck... diagrams help!!

silajim
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:05 pm

So basically create a vlan extra on the eth1 that goes onto the ont and make a vlan bridge into another eth port? wouldn't that double encapsulate the vlans? like if I create a vlan 22 on the hapac and the isp router also sets the vlan tag to 22, wouldn't that create an issue?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:14 pm

It is quite common to setup up bridges on microtik devices for everything but the wan etherport.
In this case you want to include the wan etherport for the purposes of carrying vlan-voice to the second router.

The internet vlan is NOT associated not with the bridge but to the port itself and just needs to have the correct vlan-id that the ISP is providing.
By sticking this into the dhcp client the router then knows what to do, and by assigning the vlan as an interface member for WAN, the router can handle other issues such as firewall.

The voice vlan like any other vlans assigned on the hapac (you may want one for normal home traffic, one for iot devices, one for guest wifi etc.......) is attached to the bridge.
The vlans provide their own dhcp etc............... not the bridge.
The voice vlan just needs to be defined with the correct vlan-id number with interface being the bridge (no dhcp or pool). so that it can be picked up from ether1 and go to ether X (where X is the port leading to the ISP router).

There is no issue at the ISP router, it doesnt care about names or anything else, it will see the properly tagged frames on the incoming stream, from the Mikrotik, into its wan port and will know how to deal with this traffic.

silajim
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:43 pm

I think I got it, thanks!!!