Community discussions

MikroTik App

dbadev
just joined
Topic Author

Home Networking Question for addition of 10GBe Switch for a NAS

Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:30 pm

I recently purchased the MikroTik 12-Port 10G Switch with Dual Power Supply (CRS312-4C+8XG-RM) and have added it to my home network. I already have a 1 Gbps Cable Modem, Wireless Network Router, and an existing 1 G switch (Netgear) that I bought several years ago. The intention of adding a 10G switch was to have a higher bandwidth network for a NAS (Synology) and have my multiple family computers use this as a fast backup/restore channel and also for file sharing, VM access.

Overall It is working fine, but I was wondering (as a bit of a network newbie) as I have the MikroTik Managed Switch connected to the existing Netgear 1GB as an uplink and I'm able to have systems connect to it but sometimes the connection goes over the 1 GB network. Is there some simple way (perhaps by subnetting or setting up static routes) to have specific applications (Acronis Backup) use the 10 GB network first in terms of priority?

I'd also like avoid having any traffic for this NAS go over the 1 GB network or the WIFI if possible.

Its my first foray into a more advanced network configuration so apologies for the newbie questions....

Hominidae

Re: Home Networking Question for addition of 10GBe Switch for a NAS

Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:53 pm

Overall It is working fine, but I was wondering (as a bit of a network newbie) as I have the MikroTik Managed Switch connected to the existing Netgear 1GB as an uplink and I'm able to have systems connect to it but sometimes the connection goes over the 1 GB network.
So, you have same clients/PC or components connected twice to your infrastructure?
I'd simply have clients, that are 10G capable to be connected to the CRS312 only via a single link.
Only connect each component once, unless you need redundancy or even more bandwidth....if you need, add that later after the main szenario is proven to work..
Is there some simple way (perhaps by subnetting or setting up static routes) to have specific applications (Acronis Backup) use the 10 GB network first in terms of priority?
unclear what your problem actually is or why.
Best would be to draw a small diagram, depicting each relevant component and its connection (by type and speed) to the infrastructure of your setup. Include ISP, Router, AP and clients relevant for your use case.
Besides that, also add IP-network information.
Also assuming that you did actually see some connections between Client & NAS to have a 10G performance (so each 10G component does not only have the link speed but also the horsepower to actually deliver that performance)?
I'd also like avoid having any traffic for this NAS go over the 1 GB network or the WIFI if possible.
Well, if the client only has a WiFi or 1G wired connection, there is not more to expect.
Does Your WiFi Router has a 10G capable LAN interface to connect to the CRS312? If so, is the port speed stable?
What do you expect from a WifI Client to deliver in terms of performance?
As a side note: Do not confuse MB/sec for Mbps (MegaBytes per second vs. MegaBits per second)

As said, best to draw a diagram, tell us what path is working fine and what does not work in your opinion or what your expected results should look like.

dbadev
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Home Networking Question for addition of 10GBe Switch for a NAS

Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:57 pm

Thanks for the response. My primary concern is is to isolate traffic between internet access/video streaming and Backups/File Sharing to a new NAS.
So, you have same clients/PC or components connected twice to your infrastructure?
I'd simply have clients, that are 10G capable to be connected to the CRS312 only via a single link.
Only connect each component once, unless you need redundancy or even more bandwidth....if you need, add that later after the main szenario is proven to work..
Yes. Three desktops (and one laptop) are connected via the 1 Gbps switch and also to the 10 Gbps MikroTik through a Thunderbolt-10GbE adapter. My plan is to have dedicated bandwidth so they can share files and do backups quickly to a larger NAS (~80 TB) while keeping this separate from internet traffic for internet browsing, email and video streaming. I'm slowly transitioning away from several Drobo NAS appliances to a Synology NAS as I've had very unstable backups and one of the Drobo's are quite old and starting to fail.
unclear what your problem actually is or why.
Best would be to draw a small diagram, depicting each relevant component and its connection (by type and speed) to the infrastructure of your setup. Include ISP, Router, AP and clients relevant for your use case.
Besides that, also add IP-network information.
Also assuming that you did actually see some connections between Client & NAS to have a 10G performance (so each 10G component does not only have the link speed but also the horsepower to actually deliver that performance)?
There isn't a problem and I'm seeing great network performance for the systems connected to the 10GbE network. I've also configured the 10GbE interfaces to the the first on the network priority list and the 1 GbE to be second. This works appropriately, but just wondering if there is a way to keep the 10GbE isolated so that when I access the internet to stream video, it goes over the 1 GbE network not the 10 GbE network. When one of my systems does a backup or accesses files on the NAS, it uses the 10GbE network. The systems appear to be have the horsepower to handle that performance.

I've attached a draft network diagram. The red lines indicate the 10GbE network while the blue lines indicate the 1GbE network. I could get more details on the IP network but it uses DHCP so each can vary. I try to use my router to "pin" devices by MAC address to known IPs where possible, but it will take me some time to pull this together.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.