Community discussions

MikroTik App

jnewb
just joined
Topic Author

10GB/s Mikrotik switches bandwidth testing at 1GB/s

Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:20 am

I know a few basics on networking but have zero experience using transceivers with Fiber)

My home network is currently using 1Gbs ethernet backhaul. I want to upgrade to 10Gbs fiber so I purchased two 10Gbs capable Mikrotik Switches/routers. (Mikrotik CRS326-24S+2Q+RM, Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S). I also purchased an assortment of transceivers, fiber and DAC cables that appear to be compatible.

- Compatible MikroTik S+85DLC03D SFP+ 10G SR 300M Optical Transceiver module (worked on both Mikrotik devices),
- E10GBFSR Intel Compatible SFP+ 10G SR Transceiver module FTLX8571D3BCV-IT (note: this one only worked when on 24 port Mikrotik switch while 4-Port was using above transceiver)
- MikroTik XS+DA0003 SFP/SFP+/SFP28 direct attach cable, 3m
- Compatible Mikrotik S+AO0005 5m SFP+ 10Gbps Active Optics direct attach cable
- AmazonBasics 10Gb 40Gb Multimode OM3 Duplex 50/125 OFNP Fiber Patch Cable LC to LC - 1 Meter
- 10G 2m SFP+ DAC Cable - 10GBASE-CU Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax SFP Cable for Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU2M, Ubiquiti, D-Link, Supermicro, Netgear, Mikrotik, ZTE Devices, 2m
- 10G 5m SFP+ DAC Cable - 10GBASE-CU Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax SFP Cable for Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU5M, Ubiquiti, D-Link, Supermicro, Netgear, Mikrotik, ZTE Devices, 5m

I assume compatibility because I can connect to the Internet when I connect my laptop (1GB/s) to 24port Mikrotik (using auxiliary port on bottom right). In turn the 24 port is connected from port1 to port 1 on 4-port using 10GBb/s DAC cable, which in turn is plugged into my current home router at 1Gbs (using 10Gbs transceiver and cat6 in forth port of 4-port Mikrotik). Or in other words data travels like this:

laptop LAN port > 24 port Mikrotik > 4 port Mikrotik > home wifi/router > internet

I have no problem connecting. The problem arises when I try to speed test using Mikrotik's built in switch-to-switch testing tool (found under tools). Although the two Mikrotik switches are connected using 10Gbs DAC cable (also tried using Mikrotik compatible 10Gbs transceivers and fiber) when I test the connection just between the two switches it caps out at just under 1Gbs no matter what combination of 10Gbs connecters I use.

Hominidae

Re: 10GB/s Mikrotik switches bandwidth testing at 1GB/s

Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:58 pm

IMHO the tool is not for performance measurement but rather for problem testing.
See also: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:T ... width_Test

In order to test the link for its advertised speed, you need a client and server that is actually capable of generating and receiving the required amount of data/packets per timeframe.
The smaller CPUs on a L2-hardware accelerated switch will not be up to the task for generating traffic for a 10Gbps links.

Get yourself a set of two decent PCs (suggest at least 3GHz per core) and a 10G link to the switch each...then you can test, for example by using iperf....with the switch in the middle of the two.

jnewb
just joined
Topic Author

Re: 10GB/s Mikrotik switches bandwidth testing at 1GB/s

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:58 pm

IMHO the tool is not for performance measurement but rather for problem testing.
See also: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:T ... width_Test

In order to test the link for its advertised speed, you need a client and server that is actually capable of generating and receiving the required amount of data/packets per timeframe.
The smaller CPUs on a L2-hardware accelerated switch will not be up to the task for generating traffic for a 10Gbps links.

Get yourself a set of two decent PCs (suggest at least 3GHz per core) and a 10G link to the switch each...then you can test, for example by using iperf....with the switch in the middle of the two.
Ah Thanks Been scratching my head over this one all week.