Community discussions

MikroTik App

farnots
just joined
Topic Author

Access LAN computer from a 4G Network

Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:47 am

Hello,

I configure my MikroTik router (hAP ac) to be allow to access my NAS from the outside. So I've a
dst-nat
based on
dst-address
and one
masquerade
(
srt-cat
) for the loopback (to be able to reach my NAS using it's external ip address via his DNS name).

Everything work great when I'm in LAN network or outside connected to another WiFi network. I can access my NAS as I was in the local network.
But when I'm connected to a cellular network (4G) on my phone, everything break, I couldn't reach my NAS from outside.

I first though it was an iPv6 configuration since my dst-nat is in iPv4 but I'm in another WiFI Network with an iPv6 address. I also thought it could be because I'm from the same ISP for my cellular network and my local one, but the same issues appears with other ISP (cellular).

Am I missing something in the configuration to make it work when connected from a cellular network ?

Thanks a lot for your help

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Access LAN computer from a 4G Network

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:05 pm

Not sure if it's the same in your case, but I'll mention regardless: cellular networks in general are not as transparent as fixed networks. Could be that MNO is doing some funky stuff (firewalling of outgoing connections, DPI, rate limiting, FUP, ...) which breaks NAS access for you.

farnots
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Access LAN computer from a 4G Network

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:38 pm

Not sure if it's the same in your case, but I'll mention regardless: cellular networks in general are not as transparent as fixed networks. Could be that MNO is doing some funky stuff (firewalling of outgoing connections, DPI, rate limiting, FUP, ...) which breaks NAS access for you.
Yeah maybe it's just that but I found it strange that all major MNO breaks access to my NAS and everything is fine when connected to a WiFi Network. Also before moving to MikroTik routers I was using my ISP routers and the connexion from my cellular network worked fine. I think there is some configuration I'm missing.