Community discussions

MikroTik App

ColinM9991
Topic Author

Slow navigation/browsing speeds

Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:16 pm

On the 1st of this month I added an RB4011 to my network and this week I noticed an intermittent degradation in browsing and connectivity speeds. I initially noticed this when attempting to download SQL Server Data Tools directly from Microsoft's website where my download speed was about 50kb/s whereas over my work VPN it was 50Mb/s. My line is a 1Gibt coaxial (Hybrid Fibre Coax) and I typically estimate between 850-900Mb/s via SpeedTest.

My TV suffers the most as I typically watch Netflix, YouTube and Amazon video, where all services have periods of buffering. On my PC I notice issues as, intermittently, websites will hang whilst loading; an example is Gmail whereby it hangs for up to 1 minute on the splash/loading page prior to opening my inbox.

At this point I am trying to rule out any potential issues with the RB4011, before contacting my ISP to have them investigate from their end. So far I have tried
  1. Reset router to default/factory settings to rule out any customization errors, of which there was one (ip address was assigned to ether2 instead of bridge, can't recall doing this but I'm sure I misclicked at some point)
  2. Added Firewall Mangle rule for change-mss to clamp-to-pmtu
  3. Added Queueing rule to prioritise ACK packets.
  4. Put my ISP modem back into router mode and hooked directly into that to reproduce the issue, but it's tough to say if this actually worked because the issue happens intermittently.
Below is my current router config.
# jun/13/2021 20:12:45 by RouterOS 6.48.3
# software id = TS2T-9RA7
#
# model = RB4011iGS+
# serial number = F0260E8B05E7
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=2C:C8:1B:65:45:65 auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge
/interface ethernet switch port
set 0 default-vlan-id=0
set 1 default-vlan-id=0
set 2 default-vlan-id=0
set 3 default-vlan-id=0
set 4 default-vlan-id=0
set 5 default-vlan-id=0
set 6 default-vlan-id=0
set 7 default-vlan-id=0
set 8 default-vlan-id=0
set 9 default-vlan-id=0
set 10 default-vlan-id=0
set 11 default-vlan-id=0
/interface list
add comment=defconf name=WAN
add comment=defconf name=LAN
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/ip pool
add name=dhcp ranges=192.168.1.10-192.168.1.254
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=dhcp disabled=no interface=bridge name=defconf
/queue tree
add name=ack-priority packet-mark=tcp-ack-priority parent=global priority=1 queue=ethernet-default
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether3
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether4
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether5
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether6
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether7
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether8
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether9
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether10
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=sfp-sfpplus1
/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=LAN
/interface list member
add comment=defconf interface=bridge list=LAN
add comment=defconf interface=ether1 list=WAN
/ip address
add address=192.168.1.1/24 comment=defconf interface=bridge network=192.168.1.0
/ip cloud
set ddns-enabled=yes
/ip dhcp-client
add comment=defconf disabled=no interface=ether1
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.1.0/24 comment=defconf dns-server=192.168.1.1,1.1.1.1 gateway=192.168.1.1 netmask=24
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes
/ip dns static
add address=192.168.1.1 comment=defconf name=router.lan
/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept established,related,untracked" connection-state=\
    established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ICMP" protocol=icmp
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept to local loopback (for CAPsMAN)" dst-address=127.0.0.1
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop all not coming from LAN" in-interface-list=!LAN
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept in ipsec policy" ipsec-policy=in,ipsec
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept out ipsec policy" ipsec-policy=out,ipsec
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" connection-state=established,related
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept established,related, untracked" connection-state=\
    established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed" connection-nat-state=!dstnat connection-state=new \
    in-interface-list=WAN
/ip firewall mangle
add action=change-mss chain=forward new-mss=clamp-to-pmtu out-interface=ether1 passthrough=yes protocol=tcp tcp-flags=syn
add action=mark-packet chain=postrouting new-packet-mark=tcp-ack-priority out-interface=ether1 passthrough=no protocol=tcp \
    tcp-flags=ack
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="defconf: masquerade" ipsec-policy=out,none out-interface-list=WAN
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/London
/system scheduler
add interval=1d name=backup on-event="system backup save name=today.backup" policy=\
    ftp,reboot,read,write,policy,test,password,sniff,sensitive,romon start-date=jan/01/1970 start-time=00:00:00
/tool graphing interface
add
/tool mac-server
set allowed-interface-list=LAN
/tool mac-server mac-winbox
set allowed-interface-list=LAN
Any help would be appreciated

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Slow navigation/browsing speeds

Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:12 am

Hello,

IMHO this does not seems an issue related to the mikrotik router
I have 2 doubts about your config
/ip firewall mangle
add action=change-mss chain=forward new-mss=clamp-to-pmtu out-interface=ether1 passthrough=yes protocol=tcp tcp-flags=syn
add action=mark-packet chain=postrouting new-packet-mark=tcp-ack-priority out-interface=ether1 passthrough=no protocol=tcp \
tcp-flags=ack
I have never seen anything like this, I should learn to know
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="defconf: masquerade" ipsec-policy=out,none out-interface-list=WAN
What is the "ipsec-policy" option for?

You should get an IP where you set the DHCP client.
Did you look at the system resources? (In winbox gui: system -> resources)
Did you see if there is too much traffic going throught the router? You can see this in the interface (In real time) or in tools->graphing (You should add an interface graph for WAN interface)

Is your router already in router mode? You get an private IP in your wan interface? If it is in router mode, you could maybe connect a machine directly to the router to test
Do this, maybe we can find out anything:
* From a machine, keep doing ping to any external public IP like 8.8.8.8
* In the mikrotik router, open the console and run: "tool sniffer quick ip-protocol=icmp ip-address=8.8.8.8". Not sure about this, maybe we can find anything

Regards,
Damián

ColinM9991
Topic Author

Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:48 pm

Thank you, Damián, for your response.
IMHO this does not seems an issue related to the mikrotik router
I have 2 doubts about your config
/ip firewall mangle
tcp-flags=ack
I have never seen anything like this, I should learn to know
The two mangle rules above will
  1. Change the Max Segment Size accordingly to the Path MTU - as per the documentation
  2. Mark TCP ACK packets so that they can be prioritised in the corresponding Queue Tree rule.

This entry is created as per the router default configuration.
/ip firewall nat
What is the "ipsec-policy" option for?

I have reviewed both the system and network resources but see nothing out of the ordinary. At the time of testing, yesterday, only my PC was connected to the router via CAT6 and experienced more instances of this issue throughout the day whereby certain websites would hang indefinitely on a loading stage. My ISP modem is configured in modem only mode whilst the RB4011 is connected directly to the modem and has a dynamic IP.

Whilst I have no evidence of this, I have a hunch that the problem may be as a result of the Fastly outage a few days ago. I'm wondering if a CDN cache hosted by my ISP is invalidated and yet to be updated. This issue is certainly intermittent enough, in that every nth request hangs, that I get the impression of it being down to a particular route or CDN cache.

I'll use the sniffer tool with the TCP protocol to target a particular domain that seems to consistently reproduce the problem.

ColinM9991
Topic Author

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:09 pm

I've been monitoring this over the past several days and am beginning to think that the RB4011 is causing some of the experienced issues, likely due to a lack of configuration.

I have noticed when using the ISP modem in router mode, in isolation with the RB4011 switched off, that I experience very little issue with the connection. However, once I reintroduce the RB4011, and put my ISP modem in modem mode, I begin to experience:
  • Longer image/conversation load times on Discord
  • Voice and video chat (Teams and Discord) freeze/drop off from time to time
  • Some sites taking an indefinite amount of time to load for the first time. Refreshing typically loads the site immediately.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:24 pm

You went int some quite advanced configuration because you wanted some QoS ... but if that isn't done quite right, it might actually make things worse. I'd try to introduce RB to your network with configurations as default as it gets. If it will behave more or less nicely, then you'll know it's the fancy setup that disturbs the user experience ...

ColinM9991
Topic Author

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:02 pm

You went int some quite advanced configuration because you wanted some QoS ... but if that isn't done quite right, it might actually make things worse. I'd try to introduce RB to your network with configurations as default as it gets. If it will behave more or less nicely, then you'll know it's the fancy setup that disturbs the user experience ...
The QoS was set up in an attempt to reduce potential issues. Prior to that I was running the default configuration after a reset, as my original post indicates in point 1, where the issues still occurred.

ColinM9991
Topic Author

Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:16 pm

I've just had this happen again and have noticed this in the logs. Could possibly be the cause? Might have to replace the cable, test, and request a replacement modem from the ISP.

Came across some threads that call this "Port Flapping".

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:15 am

For sure you don't want to see any of "ether1 link down" messages ... I don't know what has to be done to stabilise the ethernet link.

And you can try to set /interface detect-internet set detect-interface-list=none. While in theory functionality of detect internet should be fine in practice most of time it doesn't do anything and in some cases it breaks router functions in most mysterious ways.

ColinM9991
Topic Author

Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:48 am

For sure you don't want to see any of "ether1 link down" messages ... I don't know what has to be done to stabilise the ethernet link.

And you can try to set /interface detect-internet set detect-interface-list=none. While in theory functionality of detect internet should be fine in practice most of time it doesn't do anything and in some cases it breaks router functions in most mysterious ways.
Command executed. I'll monitor over the coming days and see how this works.

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:26 am

Wow, the link went donw twice in 2 minutes witout being moved? weird
Yes, this is an issue with something between the modem and the Mikrotik router (Modem, Cable or Mikrotik Router)
I believe this is something with your modem, would be weird that the cable behavior like this with the cable not being moved. Also I have never seen a Mikrotik with this kind of issue

Luckly you found this!!!
Regards

ColinM9991
Topic Author

Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:42 am

Wow, the link went donw twice in 2 minutes witout being moved? weird
Yes, this is an issue with something between the modem and the Mikrotik router (Modem, Cable or Mikrotik Router)
I believe this is something with your modem, would be weird that the cable behavior like this with the cable not being moved. Also I have never seen a Mikrotik with this kind of issue

Luckly you found this!!!
Regards
I'm going to reach out to my ISP during the week to request a replacement. Thinking of it more, I did actually have some connection issues with the modem in router mode (isolated testing) when on my work laptop. Something is definitely happening with the modem that is causing it to knock off the connection.

ColinM9991
Topic Author

Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:07 pm

I've checked the logs of my modem. Either it's not logging enough, as it seems only to contains DHCP lease renewals, or the issue is on the MikroTik side. Unfortunately I'm unable to configure the logging levels of my modem.

Last night, along with disabling detect-internet, I downgraded the firmware to the stable 6.47.10 version. Will continue to monitor the situation.

ColinM9991
Topic Author

Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:03 pm

Potential fixes didn't last very long.

detect-internet is disabled, the cable has been replaced and I am running the stable version. All links just went down and came back up 2 seconds later.

I've finished a NetInstall and have reconfigured the router. I've also reached out to MikroTik support.

If these should fail then my next steps will be to RMA this router as faulty and potentially wipe my hands clean of MikroTik as, between this and the 5HacQ2HnD-IN, it has been a less than pleasant experience in dealing with the RB4011 series when both products appear to have absurd issues.

ColinM9991
Topic Author

Re: Slow navigation/browsing speeds  [SOLVED]

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:59 pm

I believe this has now been resolved. The issue came down to faulty ethernet ports on my modem, I suspected this for some time but needed more evidence to justify the replacement request with my ISP as they're a bit tight-fisted. All it took for a replacement was me losing my temper at their "technical support" team who tried to sell me some WiFi extenders after suggesting that having their equipment in Modem mode was causing the problem. With a raised voice I kindly told them from where their words are coming, and it wasn't their mouth.

I received a call afterwards from an actual network engineer and I explained the issue with him as well as the contents of the logs from the RB4011. He agreed that the modem sounded faulty and dispatched another immediately.

In the meantime I connected the 4th and final working port of the modem to my RB4011 and have monitored the logs over a 24 hour period where no drop-offs have taken place.

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:09 pm

Hello,
Glad to know you could solve the issue. I really never suspected on the Mikrotik router.
This kind of discussions with the ISP first line support is very common in my country (Argentina), you should take a sedative before call them, hehehehehehehe
Regards,
Damián

ColinM9991
Topic Author

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:03 pm

Just to kick a dead horse, I received my replacement modem today and saw these same issues on ports 1-3. Turns out only port 4 works without issues. I know that devices will have a single/better supported port when in Modem mode but the challenge is that this ISP modem/router doesn't have any marking to suggest which port should be used.

Anyway, the issue is still solved, I'll stick with port 4.

Thank you Damián and mkx for your assistance