Community discussions

MikroTik App

SJMaye
just joined
Topic Author

Newbie- RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT-US Rebooting every 10 seconds

Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:29 pm

I am totally a newbie. I realize this product is may be more technical than I can handle, but before returning it I thought I would ask the question.

I am trying to connect my house network with my new detached garage. It was recommended I use fiber optics and use this RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT-US Routerboard as a wireless access point in the garage. Being my first use of fiber I had hoped it would be plug-n-play. Not so far.

From the moment I plugged the routerboard in it appears to be doing and endless rebooting every 10 seconds. I have tried resetting via the manual, but no change. Is this normal?

2021-06-15_6-42-20.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hominidae

Re: Newbie- RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT-US Rebooting every 10 seconds

Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:41 pm

...this is a hap-ac model and it definitely should not do that.

Try to set it up, without the fiber connection and SFP module first.
Use the reset button to reset it to defaults https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... andjumpers or try installing latest long-term via netinstall https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall

Once this is stable (root cause can also be a faulty PSU...try another, if possible, then), avoid quick-sets.
Start from a naked setup (in the settings, once stable, go to system - reset configuration - do not backup, no default config).

If you cannot get it to a stable uptime, RMA it.

SJMaye
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:52 pm

It is a hap ac. I performed the reset again as instructed. I held the reset button down while powering up and waited for the LED to start flashing, then released the reset button. That seemed to work correctly. The device It is still rebooting every 10 seconds and I cannot reach 192.168.88.1.

I think I will box it up and return it to Amazon.

Hominidae

Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:57 pm

The device It is still rebooting every 10 seconds and I cannot reach 192.168.88.1.
Are you able to try the netinstall method, as described?

Connect via ether 2-5, not ether1, as this is WAN, normally and there is a firewall in place, maybe.
Also, when using Winbox, enable legacy mode and try to connect via MAC (select the MAC, in the neighbors list) instead of the IP,

Maybe this is an open box from amazon and someone tried to flash another OS (like openWRT) onto it, failed and then returned it.
If you can RMA it, just do...make sure, you do not get the same physical item back, when asking for a replacement ;-)

SJMaye
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:04 pm

Hello Hominidae,

I really appreciate your help. I have already done the return on Amazon. The problem here is likely me and my lack of knowledge with these products, but I was also put off by MikroTik support. I contacted them, first about what I was running into. I explained my lack of familiarity with these products and what it was doing. All I got back was an email and a link to the manual. They made no effort at all to help. I am thinking this is because these are more enterprise related devices for pros. Either way it is returned. I am going to a more consumer friendly direction.

Thanks again for the help. It is appreciated.

Hominidae

Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:25 pm

IMHO, your are turning away too fast.
Finding another device (fiber, GBit-Switch and WiFi) for the same pricetag and consumer friendly is impossible, I think.
Your next best option (and using fiber link is the right way) is to get a second media converter and connect a consumer AP

SJMaye
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:26 pm

IMHO, your are turning away too fast.
Finding another device (fiber, GBit-Switch and WiFi) for the same pricetag and consumer friendly is impossible, I think.
Your next best option (and using fiber link is the right way) is to get a second media converter and connect a consumer AP
That is exactly what I did. Thx!