Community discussions

MikroTik App

marshmallowDelight
just joined
Topic Author

How do I find the IP address of my WAP?

Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:28 pm

I have a Synology RT2600AC that I'm now using as a WAP. I have a hEX S serving as my central gateway for my home network. I set up a DHCP server with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 and it distributes IP addresses in the range of 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.255. I was able to connect to my RT2600AC via ethernet and I then switched the mode to WAP (from router mode). It works but now I am unable to configure my RT2600AC because I can't find the IP that is assigned. Logistically, I'd like all my non-endpoint clients to have addresses like 10.0.1.1, 10.0.1.2, etc. to differentiate themselves from other clients.
[admin@MikroTik] /ip dhcp-server lease> print 
Flags: X - disabled, R - radius, D - dynamic, B - blocked 
 #	ADDRESS		MAC-ADDRESS		HOST-NAME	SERVER	RATE-LIMIT	STATUS  LAST-SEEN                                 
 0 D 	10.0.0.255	XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:CF	MacBook		defconf				bound   4m11s                                     
 1 D 	10.0.0.254	XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:E3	iPhone-SE	defconf				bound   7m26s                                     
 2 D 	10.0.0.253	XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:3F	iPhone-X	defconf				bound   7m49s                                     
 3 D 	10.0.0.252	XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:1F			defconf				bound   4m35s  

marshmallowDelight
just joined
Topic Author

Re: How do I find the IP address of my WAP?

Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:28 pm

Can a moderator approve this please?

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:38 am

Would make sense that your Synology doesn't have a DHCP client if run in WAP modus. Did you connect the WAP through one of the LAN connectors? In that case...assign a fixed IP address to the WAP, outside of your DHCP scope (but within netmask) to be able to manage it. And have a look at your current netmask, it is a bit wide.

marshmallowDelight
just joined
Topic Author

Re: How do I find the IP address of my WAP?  [SOLVED]

Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:35 am

My goal with the wide netmask is to be able to identify devices by IP address quickly. I want to assign my WAPs and my gateway router: 10.0.1.1, 10.0.2.1, 10.0.3.1, etc. In conjunction with this, I would like to assign IP addresses via DHCP depending on the WAP that the host attached to. So if it attached to 10.0.2.1, then they would be assigned 10.0.2.2, etc.

I understand what a netmask is supposed to do, but I don't know if this is a good way to do it. I understand that by making the netmask this wide, I potentially could have 65536 different IPs assigned which is obviously over provisioning for my needs. Is there a better way to achieve my goal? Or, perhaps, is my goal "stupid"?

BTW, I solved my problem by resetting my WAP and reconfiguring it. I didn't know how long it would be before my post would be approved.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:38 am

My goal with the wide netmask is to be able to identify devices by IP address quickly.
Ehm...perhaps you can explain a bit more...?

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:16 am

My goal with the wide netmask is to be able to identify devices by IP address quickly. I want to assign my WAPs and my gateway router: 10.0.1.1, 10.0.2.1, 10.0.3.1, etc. In conjunction with this, I would like to assign IP addresses via DHCP depending on the WAP that the host attached to. So if it attached to 10.0.2.1, then they would be assigned 10.0.2.2, etc.
To realistically achieve this they would need to be running dhcp relay - your mikrotik at the center will not know where these clients are realistically coming from within the same broadcast domain.

So either the mikrotik runs the server to the WAPs and the WAPs dhcp-relay in some kind of weird setup
Or you run VLAN's / separate broadcast domain for each WAP where you only use the /24 and let the mikrotik route between them - if you don't need L2 network protocols such as network discovery this would be the way to go (although you can get some stuff working with proxy-arp but not recommended).

marshmallowDelight
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:45 pm

@joegoldman, thatmakes sense to me (though I wouldn't know how to implement it). I'll just be happy with what I have then.