MikroTik App

dgpete
just joined
Topic Author

Sailboat secondary Router issue

Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:12 pm

Hi All,
Newbie here! Please be gentle!!! ;-)
I have a Groove GA-52HPacn mounted about 20 feet up on a backstay of my sailboat. It is fed with a 12 to 24v POE injector which feeds a GL-iNet GL-B1300 router belowdecks. Connection is from the bottom Ethernet port on the Groove, through the injector, to the WAN port of the GL router.
I can log on to the Groove and have the WiFi connected to the 5G from the marina, no problem. I have OK speeds (16-20ms/16Mbps DN/3 Mbps UP- the Maina limits speeds) from every device I connect to the GL router: my Asus laptop (wired), 2 iPads and 2 Android phone (wireless). These speeds are virtually the same as standing next to the antenna on the dock so that's as good as it's going to get at this particular marina.
So far, no problems, EXCEPT:
Even tho it is obviously working fine, I cannot log into the Secondary GL router once I have everything connected.
Addresses: Groove 192.168.88.1 GL Router 192.168.10.1
I set up the 2.4 and 5G SSIDs on the GL router directly with an ethernet cable, then I set up the groove wired directly also, but as soon as I connect and reboot everything, I can log in to the Groove but NOT the GL router... WiFi and Wired from the GL-iNet router are both delivering Internet to all devices but I just can't log in to the secondary router (the GL B1300) in the cascade...
If I Ping the GL's IP I get the "destination net unreachable" message in CMD...
Could someone please tell me what I missed or what I failed to change/set setting-wise to get me into that secondary router????
Thanks very much!!
Doug

wkearney99
just joined

Re: Sailboat secondary Router issue

Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:58 pm

What does 'ipconfig /all' say on your laptop? Is it getting your B1300's network on 192.168.10.0//255.255.255.0?

What about your WiFi devices? What IP addresses are they getting?

And is your B1300 configured as a router only or as a firewall (the factory default).

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:09 pm

I Want to make sure I have the data flow correctly. The Grove is being used as a WiFi client and it connects to the Marina WiFi as your internet source. The Grove is operating as a router and providing a LAN connection directly to the GL-B1300 on the 192.168.88.x subnet. The GL-B3100 is also operating as a router with it's "WAN" port getting a 192.168.88.x address. The GL-B3100 LAN side is operating in the 192.168.10.x subnet, and I am assuming that it is operating as a DHCP server for that subnet, and that it is also operating as a WiFi access point. When you connect to the GL-B3100, you SHOULD be getting an IP in the 192.168.10.x subnet.

Based on the error you are getting, it sounds like you are not getting an IP in the 192.168.10.x subnet. Confirm what address your PC is getting.

In my opinion, having two stages of routing only adds complexity. It's doable, but adds complexity. If it were me, I would operating your below decks network with a switch and an access point and use the Groove for all routing functions. The other option would be to use the Groove as a WiFi bridge only and do all routing functions in the below decks router - the CL-B3100 would be getting an IP from the Marina WiFi in this case. BTW, I am totally unaware of the capabilities of the GL-B3100 which may be forcing your hand a bit - but I am assuming that it is at least similar to a "typical" home router with WiFi built in.

dgpete
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:48 pm

k6cc,
Thanks much for the response!!
Yes, you have the data flow correct.
Boaters usually use one router to connect to the marina WiFi hotspot with the outdoor device (used as a router) then feed that below into the WAN port of the belowdecks router to distribute the signal throughout the boat.
Yes, the GL-iNet is a typical home router in specs and abilities.
Yes, the GL-iNet router is correctly getting a .88.xxx address from the MicroTik
The devices connected to the GL-iNet (which, yes, is operating as a DHCP server) are getting .10.xxx subnet addresses, as they should...

I understand about the dual router complexity and about the possibility of using the MikroTik as a bridge. I am no networking expert although I have set up many networks for friends and my kids schools years back. I have seen that virtually all boaters use two routers and set them both up as routers with the outdoor one feeding the WAN of the belowdecks. It just seems to be the custom/usual direction boater go.
That said, I'll happily try something different! ;-)
Would bridging the MiktoTik to the GL-iNet or running the MiktoTik to a switch then using the GL-iNet or dedicated device as an AP cause any speed loss or other issues?
Which method would offer the fastest speeds and best security? A major issue is that some marinas' WiFi are notoriously slow so one doesn't want to connect in any manner that might cause a speed loss. I've tied up in marinas that have 100+ DN/75UP and places with 3DN and <1UP. It is what it is at each marina and there ain't nada we can do about it......

Thanks again!
Doug

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:01 am

I would also upgrade the Groove to a Metal because you'll get better performance.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:16 am

I set up the 2.4 and 5G SSIDs on the GL router directly with an ethernet cable, then I set up the groove wired directly also, but as soon as I connect and reboot everything, I can log in to the Groove but NOT the GL router... WiFi and Wired from the GL-iNet router are both delivering Internet to all devices but I just can't log in to the secondary router (the GL B1300) in the cascade...
If I Ping the GL's IP I get the "destination net unreachable" message in CMD...
You didn't say HOW everything is connected.
Ok. The groove only have one ethernet port, so it's quite clear where the network cable is plugged in.
The B3100 have 3 ethernet ports: one WAN and two LAN. The ethernet cable from the Groove should go into the WAN port of the B3100 (the one closest to the energy plug).

Now You should be able to connect either through wireless or ethernet (use one of the two LAN ports) into the B3100, and access its interface. Try with an ethernet cable, if possible. This way we are sure from where the connection comes from. Does it work? (first step)

If it works, the next step is to connect on the Groove. Does it work? (second step)

If both previous steps worked, try the marina internet. It should work. If it worked, problem solved. :D (third step)

If some of the above steps failed: check the cables. Always verify that the ethernet cables are ok and really connected - some of them look plugged in, but aren't.
If the first step failed: You probably aren't getting an IP from the B3100. Check the configuration. Check your laptop network, and see if it got a lease in the B3100 network range (192.168.10.x).
If the second step failed: Login at the administrative interface of the B3100 and see if it got an IP from the Groove. It should be "192.168.88.x". See if the internet settings of the B3100 are configured to "DHCP client".
If the third step failed: login at the administrative interface of the Groove and see if it is connected to the marina WiFi and if it got an IP address. Check if this IP address isn't on the same range of the Groove LAN (192.168.88.x). If it is, change the Groove LAN range. Try pinging Google DNS (8.8.8.8). If it works, and nothing else works, You have a DNS problem. If it doesn't work, You have some other problem.

dgpete
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:24 am

Thanks for your input Paternot,
Yes, physically the Groove is connected to the WAN port of the GL-iNet router via an ethernet cable, powered by POE, as I stated at the beginning of my initial post.
From that GL-iNet router I am connected via Ethernet cable (LAN port) to my laptop and via WiFi to two iPads and two android phones. Internet is available on all. They are all receiving a 192.169.10.xxx address from the GL-iNet router, which itself is receiving a 192.168.88.xx address from the Groove. All that seems as it should be....
So the system works fine internet-wise BUT I just cannot connect to the GL-iNet router when everything in on, connected and running fine...
I can connect to the GL-iNet router directly *IF* I turn off/disconnect the Groove and reboot the GL-iNet router.
I can connect to the Goove directly via it's Ethernet cable AND at all times when the entire system is up and running,
BUT, and this is my problem in a nutshell: when the system is up and running, I cannot connect to the secondary/cascaded router, the GL-iNet......
Thanks,
Doug

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:32 am

When You say "can't connect", what happens? A timeout? An error? Is there some message? Can You ping 192.168.10.1? (You wrote 192.169, but I think it was a typo, since this is a public address).

By the way: when everything is connected, can you login on the Groove?

dgpete
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:56 am

As I said in my original post, I can ping the Groove and login as usual when the entire system is up and running. And by that I mean I have the Groove pulling in the WiFi from the Marina, feeding it to the GL-iNet router via the wired, POE ethenet to the WAN port which, in turn, is sending out WiFi and Ethernet data just fine, to the correct .10.xxx addresses, but when it is all working like that, I just cannot login/reach the secondary GL-iNet router.

On a webpage for 192.168.10.1 I get a message that says the webpage took too long to respond. and, as I posted originally, If I Ping the GL's IP I get the "destination net unreachable" message in CMD...
again, If I disconnect or power down the Groove and then reboot the GL-iNet and my laptop, I can then login fine to the GL-iNet router and ping it fine but as soon as I add the Groove, then the WiFi works fine but I cannot see or login to the GL-iNet router even tho it is doing it's job and working fine.... .

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:09 am

This is way too weird. If You had a routing problem, shouldn't be possible to reach the Groove. I think Your problem lies within the iNet router. Either it has a weird static route, or changes some configuration when get an address from the Groove.

Really, no idea what is going on.

Hominidae

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:07 pm

Even tho it is obviously working fine, I cannot log into the Secondary GL router once I have everything connected.
Can you be more specific? What exactly is not working/how do you attempt to connect?

Addresses: Groove 192.168.88.1 GL Router 192.168.10.1
...is a ping to the respective IP working, to both Groove and GLi from the same client?
This implies a double NAT setup. What is the special need to run the GLi in Router Mode instead of AP mode?
The IP issued from the groove to the WAN-Port of the GLi indicate, that NAT/Firewall is working on the groove already.