Community discussions

MikroTik App

LuxVR
just joined
Topic Author

AP bridge / simple queues

Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:37 pm

Hi guys,

First thing, im still learning networking (and I got a long way to go) ,I'm new to the forum, been using MT for some basic stuff, mostly learning about networking through videos/tutorials/forums.

One thing puzzles me though. So I had to setup an outdoor AP for a company that we do business with. And we picked OmniTik 5 for the task.
The business place has a new Meraki network in place. Core router/switch, redundancy, VLAN's, FW, AP's the whole thing is setup really really nice.

I decided to put the OmniTik 5 in AP bridge mode, and managed the port where the Tik is connected on the Cisco switch to give it WiFi Guest VLAN.

Everything is working great, Tik is giving away the right IP pool, connectivity is good, no complaints so far. Except one thing, I am supposed to limit the bandwidth on the Tik, and cant seem to figure out what is not playing nicely on the Tik. Because simple queues are being ignored.

So I played with my home Tik, and ended up in the same problem. What i managed to figure out is, if I put the Tik with Basic config (after reset) and then put it in AP bridge mode, the simple queues work (althought it is giving away the default DHCP config pool, but the queues work).

When I put the Tik in AP bridge mode with no default config (after reset), simple queues are being ignored. Meaning no bandwidth limitations.

I'm sure its not something complicated, and I think I missed some basic stuff, I kinda have an idea what maybe wrong, but you know better ask the experts if I can.

And yes I do plan on taking MT courses in the near future, I was supposed to go last year but lockdown and other stuff so....

mikeeg02
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: AP bridge / simple queues  [SOLVED]

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:51 pm

I assume you're using winbox, for queues to work with bridge you need to go to interface bridge settings and set use-ip-firewall to yes or enabled. Your AP default configuration has a firewall, and would have that enabled. Default with no config, the router sets use-ip-firewall to no or disabled.

LuxVR
just joined
Topic Author

Re: AP bridge / simple queues

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:25 am

I assume you're using winbox, for queues to work with bridge you need to go to interface bridge settings and set use-ip-firewall to yes or enabled. Your AP default configuration has a firewall, and would have that enabled. Default with no config, the router sets use-ip-firewall to no or disabled.
Yes good sir, that was the solution, I did find someone mention that setting in a different post, and tried it and it worked. I was literally coming to this post to write the solution in case anyone else needs it later, but thank you anyway for your response.