Community discussions

MikroTik App

matthei
just joined
Topic Author

One VLAN not working in a sub-switch

Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:29 am

I've been troubleshooting this for a while now, and was able to pinpoint the issue, but can't find what configuration could be wrong, or what knowledge I'm lacking to explain this phenomenon.

I have a main router RB4011, then two switches RB260 (plugged directly into the router), and multiple VLANs. All works ok, as expected.
Now as I'm expanding the network, I've added another RB260, but this one is plugged into one of the switches, not directly to the router. Some of the VLANs aren't working.
I have a hEX-S handy, so i tried to use it as a switch (but with the RouterOS/winbox, it's easier to configure and much more powerful). I seem to have run into the same issue.

For comparison, I looked into the cAP which has already been running for months, is already in the "2nd tier" (not directly connected to the router) and it seems to work ok.

I've put this picture together, to describe what works and what doesn't work.

(btw, vlan99 = management)
rb260 nesting.png

Oh, and worth noting: when I was troubleshooting with the RB260, the computer was plugged into an accessport for vlan 73. For a long time, running "ipconfig" command gave me the auto-assigned 169.x.x.x IP, ipconfig/release/renew unsuccessful... then eventually it picked up the IP from the network (10.10.73.x). Opening websites basically didn't work, but sometimes a website did partially load.
Running a ping command to either the router or an external IP, produced an interesting pattern:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=116
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=116
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=116
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: One VLAN not working in a sub-switch

Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:06 pm

I run both capacs, hexes and 260s behind my MT router without issue.
This is the best reference to use. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=143620

In the meantime please post your config
/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

matthei
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:40 am

Nice to hear from you again, anav :)

Export file is attached.

Also worth noting - as of yesterday, not sure what I did, but clients connecting over WiFi to vlan 73, no longer obtain ip address. All that I remember changing, is going into the cAP via winbox, and adding DHCP client on each of the vlans (as i was making the sketch image, and examining where the DHCP is functional and where it's not).
I found that this is likely because of the cAPsMan config "local forwarding = enabled" on the capsman-configuration (ssid) that is connected to vlan73. I then disabled local forwarding, and that made AP traffic go through the vlan99, so it successfully reached the router, and worked well. But when localforwarding is enabled, the clients connected via wifi on the AP, access the "raw" vlan73 which is broken for some reason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:38 pm

I cannot help with main router or caps for anything capsman related, dont use it, dont need, causes nothing but headaches for people. I like simple life.
For example you only need one bridge...........

matthei
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:19 am

Yeah the defconf bridge for 192.168.88.x is still there. Well, i'll try to do the whole configuration from scratch, maybe that will fix it.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:49 pm

I would not use capsman at first and get the config cleanly setup without it.
If happy no need to add it. If you think you still need it then modify.
Use the link reference provided.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:06 pm

Likely suffering from https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... figuration - replace the multiple bridges on the 4011 with a single VLAN-aware bridge, disabling RSTP everywhere might be a quick bodge.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:00 pm

The only note to the linked article is that a Management VLAN is not totally necessary if you trust your HOME VLAN for the most part.
One still uses a BASE or MNGT interface listing to separate the trusted LAN from the rest of the VLANs on the LAN interface.
Further in input chain rules one can limit access to all smart devices including winbox and router to fixed admin IP addresses (desktop, laptop, smartphone,, ipad etc).

matthei
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:40 pm

I had a feeling something like this is wrong, I think my problem is described in section "VLAN on a bridge in a bridge".

As for the management vlan necesity - yeah i'd rather have it.

matthei
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:11 am

I have re-configured the router to have just one bridge, and use the "bridge vlan table", but it's still the same issue.
Then i also tried setting the STP mode on the bridge to none, still the same.

The symptoms are the same, almost no connection, but after some time a site does get loaded. Trying to access the switch over the lan sometimes succeeds, but it's a lottery whether the settings are saved if i click "apply".

Maybe the switch (RB260) also need some special configuration?

EDIT: I disabled RSTP on all ports on the RB260 that is between the main router to the other RB260. Seems to work like a charm now.

The "why" still eludes me :)
Should RSTP be enabled only on certain ports of the switch, maybe the ones that lead to the main router?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:11 pm

Having sorted out the issues which can arise from multiple bridges there shouldn't be any need to disable RSTP. Even without adjusting the priorities to ensure that the 4011 is the root bridge and setting edge ports to remove the delay before traffic is forwarded there is no obvious reason why it shouldn't work for a simple topology.