Community discussions

MikroTik App

seraish
just joined
Topic Author

Home network update

Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:56 am

Hello!
Not so long ago I thought about how to update my home network and due to the fact that there should be 4 Internet channels at home, one of which GiPon chose Mikrotik, since RB4011 is the only router that supports the necessary SFP modules, but since it does not have USB ports , and they will be needed for the LTE Modem, the question arose about what would have to be bought either MikroTik CRS125-24G or hAP ac.

So the question is, does Router OS have the ability to create a Stack between different devices but with the same operating system in order for them to form one network? And is it possible to create a stack not by the port sfp, but by the usual Ethernet, since the sfp will be busy by GiPon

P.S I know that probably my conceived configuration may show nonsense, but it is going to take 5-7 years and with an eye on the fact that in Moscow there will be a 10 gigabit Gipon that I will use.

Hominidae

Re: Home network update

Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:17 pm

...IMHO you do have a "routing problem", not a "stacking/switching problem".

You should be able to use any number of devices as WAN-Endpoint, as long as you can address them/their Gateway-IP as default route in the routing table of your central router (i.e. an RB4011).
However, I am not sure, if the RB4011 will be capable to sustain a 10G link...according to test results, you'll probably end up with 6-7Gbps.
Look into a CCR model, maybe CCR2004 and up.

seraish
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:26 am

...IMHO you do have a "routing problem", not a "stacking/switching problem".

You should be able to use any number of devices as WAN-Endpoint, as long as you can address them/their Gateway-IP as default route in the routing table of your central router (i.e. an RB4011).
However, I am not sure, if the RB4011 will be capable to sustain a 10G link...according to test results, you'll probably end up with 6-7Gbps.
Look into a CCR model, maybe CCR2004 and up.
And what is the "Routing problem" expressed because now I have Edgerouter X working, but Gipon ONT and TP-link 3020 and 2 more Ethrnet Internet channels are connected to it, and unfortunately this whole scheme often fails.

Hominidae

Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:31 pm

my statement was build on the fact, that your concept of "stacking" different components is misleading for your usecase (which is about the ability for using multiple WAN Interfaces/gateways concurrently).
I gathered that, by forming a "stack" out of separate devices you would like to make them look like and work seamlessly as ONE device. This is simply not possible.

When using different WAN endpoints/gateways, distributed across several components in your infrastructure, you need a good concept on what you want to achieve.
But the basics are/will be based on (IP-)routing....hence my statement.

Why your current setup does fail or at least does not meet your needs is totally unclear, in terms what actually fails and what the root cause might be as well as what your requirements are.
Could be a bad cable, faulty firmware, misconfigured or unsuitable setup, misconception of the capabilities of a multi WAN setup.

Back to your original question, if you can run multiple WAN interfaces across a set of distributed MT devices/Routers, the simple answer is yes.
But not in a way that you described as a "stack", as I said above.

seraish
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:27 am

my statement was build on the fact, that your concept of "stacking" different components is misleading for your usecase (which is about the ability for using multiple WAN Interfaces/gateways concurrently).
I gathered that, by forming a "stack" out of separate devices you would like to make them look like and work seamlessly as ONE device. This is simply not possible.

When using different WAN endpoints/gateways, distributed across several components in your infrastructure, you need a good concept on what you want to achieve.
But the basics are/will be based on (IP-)routing....hence my statement.

Why your current setup does fail or at least does not meet your needs is totally unclear, in terms what actually fails and what the root cause might be as well as what your requirements are.
Could be a bad cable, faulty firmware, misconfigured or unsuitable setup, misconception of the capabilities of a multi WAN setup.

Back to your original question, if you can run multiple WAN interfaces across a set of distributed MT devices/Routers, the simple answer is yes.
But not in a way that you described as a "stack", as I said above.
Thanks for the clarification, in fact, since I did not find anything about device stacking, I revisited my plans. As a result, I abandoned the CRS125-24G as a second router with a usb port in favor of Hex Poe, which will connect 2 LTE modems and an uninterruptible power supply and it will be connected to the 4th Van interface on the RB4011