Community discussions

MikroTik App

dexznrl
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik Audiencé wifi mesh networking

Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:27 am

Hello all,

New to the forum and a bit new to Mikrotik products.

I bought two Mikrotik Audiencé devices. Had them connected at my office just to test how they work, how to configure them and to check performance. We have very little wifi disturbance at the office :). My thought was to use them at home after my testing.

After some fiddling I got them talking to each other and I could see them both in the network by using Winbox.
I could also see both units send out wifi on different channels in Wifi-analyser on my phone.

Really enjoyed the super simple way of connecting them to each other and also very happy that everything worked. If there is an outage even my girlfriend can solve this :).
Though I have to disable that WPS-button afterwards. You know, security and all.

When I brought them home I connected the power sockets but they did not "mesh" up to each other.
Well now issues, just use the WPS-buttons and we will get going? No such luck!
Made a reset on both units by holding the reset button while inserting the power to the unit and then waiting until the LED started flashing green, release the reset button and then wait for them to restart. All fresh and resetted.

Did the WPS-button connection again and both end up with green light, at first glance it seem to be working but here the problems start:

The first unit (the one connected to my router with a network cable) sends out a wifi-network, I can connect to it, I can see it in wifi-analyser, I get an IP-address from it without an issue, but the second unit doesn't. The green LED is glowing but the second unit does not send out a wifi that I can see with wifi-analyser. I also cannot "see" it in the network through Winbox.

Made a few resets to check that I did everything by the book. Nope, the second unit do not respond.
Switched them over so the first unit became the second unit and vice versa... Reset and start over: Nope, does not work.

Brought them back to the office to test there again: No, still nothing.
Resetted both and reconfigured them through WPS-button at the office: No luck.

They pair up, according to the green LED on the front but they do not communicate with each other.
The first unit work perfectly but the second unit does not.

Now I'm by no means an expert with Winbox so I could probably spend most part of next month configuring this manually :), so I'm wondering if there is anyone else out there who has had the same issue and actually solved it so the WPS-button works again? You know, my girlfriend and stuff!

dexznrl
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Mikrotik Audiencé wifi mesh networking

Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:05 pm

I actually think that I managed to solve this problem but it sure would be great to hear from the community if this is correct:

After a reset wlan3 is not part of the bridge on the main unit (the one connected to my router by cable). As soon as I add wlan3 to the bridge the repeater wakes up and starts sending signals again.
I understand that without wlan3 in the bridge the DHCP won't be able to lease addresses to the repeater and onwards but only to clients connected to wlan 1 and 2, but what I really don't understand here is why it worked the first time at my office?

Could it be so that there is a differance between the configuration that the unit is delivered with and the configuration after reset?

I can't remember if I did a reset before I got it working the first time at the office so I'm not sure here.

Anyone with any thought about this? I would really like to have it solved because otherwise my girlfriend won't be able to solve the issues herself.
The units are probably from the same batch even though they were bought at different times. But I'm not sure about that of course.

All thoughts and inputs are welcome :).