Community discussions

MikroTik App

p1trson
just joined
Topic Author

Custom DNS in Bridge

Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:52 pm

Hello folks,

I have my mikrotik router sitting behind a Telekom router. It is providing the Wifi instead of the Telekom device (where I have disabled it). That I have achieved by configuring mikrotik to a bridge mode (and connected telekom router <-> mikrotik via cable to WAN port)

Recently I have installed pihole (connected to mikrotik) on my other device and found out that on the Telekom router, I can't set custom DNS servers. I have tried to set that in mikrotik too, but failed:
- IP -> DHCP Client (ether1) - unchecked "Use peer DNS"
- IP -> DNS - added custom server in "Servers" - the IP of the pihole device
- IP -> DHCP server - enabled the server and under "networks" I have added my LAN subnet with proper gw and custom DNS server(pihole)

Strangely when I check IP -> DHCP Client (ether1) I see that Telekom router is the DHCP Server (which I guess is OK), but the primary DNS and Secondary DNS are again the ones which are coming from Telekom router (even though I applied the above settings and even tried a restart)

It seems that the only device which is using the pihole as DNS is the mikrotik router now but all other clients (connected via mikrotik) still do report the old DNS servers which are coming from the Telekom router and I just can't find why.

Any idea what did I miss? I thought that this is a trivial task but apparently I'm missing something still. So to summarize it:
I need all clients which are connected via mikrotik to get the DNS servers from mikrotik (where it's set statically) and not from the Telekom router.

Cheers
Peter

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Custom DNS in Bridge

Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:13 pm

Good Morning,

If i understand correctly you want 1 Network and all devices should be using Pihole as a DNS right ?

If that the Case :
Solution 1 : Change the DHCP-Server-Setting from the Telekom-Router, so that all Client get the IP-Address of the Pihole

Solution 2 : If you are unable to change the DHCP-Setting on the Telekom-Router,
deactivate the DHCP-Service on the Telekom-Router and use the Mikrotik Router as a DHCP-Server for the Network