Community discussions

MikroTik App

mroshaw
just joined
Topic Author

Hap ac2 as domestic switch / wireless extender

Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:09 pm

Hello,

I've bought two Hap ac2 devices for myself and a friend, both of us with the same use case. I am a little overwhelmed and intimidated by RouterOS, and not entirely qualified to know what I'm doing! Fun though!

I have an ISP (Vodafone UK) provided wireless router in my living room. I have run a physical cat 5e cable around the outside from the router to my office on the other side of the house. There, I have plugged the cable into the Hap ac2. I also have a PiHole on my network, managing both DNS and DHCP. I've plugged my office desktop into the Hap ac2.

The intention is to:
  • Physically connect a number of devices in my office to the Hap ac2, accessing the same network as other devices connected physically and wirelessly to my router
  • Extend the existing SSID currently broadcast from my router to my Hap ac2 in the office, supporting both 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz devices. The idea is that I have greater coverage of the same SSID throughout the house

I've started with the "Home AP Dual" quick profile, updating these parameters:
  • Turned off DHCP / NAT
  • Set Gateway to my router (192.168.1.1)
  • Set DNS to my PiHole (192.168.1.15)
  • Assigned a static local network IP address (192.168.1.179), as per the IP I've configured through DHCP on my PiHole.

I've applied the config, which immediately causes me to lose access to Web Config, but otherwise it seems to behave as I want it.

So, using WinBox, I then:
  • Updated both WiFi interfaces (2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz) with the same SSID as my current wireless
  • Modified the default "Wireless Security" profile, using the same WEP/WEP2 key as my current wireless

On applying, everything seems to be as I want it, though I'm still unable to access the web config, and have to use WinBox.

Given my use case, and clear lack of understanding of what on earth I'm doing, any thoughts on feedback on what I could / should change? Also, is there some way to get access back to the Web Config, so I can stop using WinBox?

Many thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your thoughts!

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Hap ac2 as domestic switch / wireless extender

Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:07 pm

Good Morning,

Step 1 : Reset RouterOS Configuration ( No default Configuration & Do Not Backup)
Step 2 : Set Password for Admin
Step 3 : Create Bridge
Step 4 : Assign all ports / Interface of the Hap Ac2 to the newly created Bridge
Step 5 : Setup Wireless interfaces to your needs and set mode to AP-Bridge

Everything should work!
extra's

Step 6 :
You can add an IP-Address , DNS, and Gateway manually on the bridge for update and Co.
OR even better activate DHCP-Client on bridge

UTxCipo
just joined

Re: Hap ac2 as domestic switch / wireless extender

Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:42 pm

This solution works flawlessy also for a simple home AP!

the HAP ac2 is a little under-used but works fine :)

(simple Access Point configuration)

[I'm trying to trigger some spiders, this solution was hard to find]