Community discussions

MikroTik App

BalticDNS
just joined
Topic Author

How to use the hap Lite to isolate one Host with VM from the rest of the network?

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:29 pm

Hey,

I am just getting started with Mikrotik and would appreciate your guidance on the following situation:

I am in a temporary place with Internet access that is provided by a router modem to which I do not have management access, i.e. I cannot change any settings on this router.
Several laptops and mobile phones are connect to this router either via ethernet cable (4 ports) or wifi.

I need to access work from one Debian 10 desktop machine (needs to have internet access to the outside world) on which a virtual machine (Debian 10, VirtualBox) will be installed, which is potentially being exposed to a rootkit infection. I would like to isolate this host machine and the VM from the rest of the network, so that the other devices on the network, the host and the central router are protected and cannot be infected or scanned.

I have a spare hAP lite which I would like to use for this purpose.

Could you guide me in the right direction how to approach this in a secure way?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

BalticDNS
just joined
Topic Author

Re: How to use the hap Lite to isolate one Host with VM from the rest of the network?

Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:15 pm

I tried to reset the hap lite last night using the recommended procedure:

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/UM/hAP+lite

"RouterBOOT reset button has the following functions. Press the button and apply the power, then:

Release the button when green LED starts flashing, to reset RouterOS configuration to defaults.
Release the button when the LED turns solid green to clear all configuration and defaults.
Release the button after LED is no longer lit (~20 seconds) to cause a device to look for Netinstall servers (required for reinstalling RouterOS over the network).

Regardless of the above option used, the system will load the backup RouterBOOT loader if the button is pressed before power is applied to the device. Useful for RouterBOOT debugging and recovery."

Unfortunately, this reset method won't work and I am not able to access the admin interface any longer.

Is there a way access the device directly via ethernet cable?