Community discussions

MikroTik App

bksan
just joined
Topic Author

cAP ac setup issues

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:39 pm

Hello MikroTik-Users,

I am completely new to the whole MikroTik hardware and also (probably) a complete newbie in terms of networking.

My last setup (private house):
- FritzBox 7560 as internet router
- Netgear GS324PP as switch
- FritzBox 7362 SL as Wifi Mesh extender connected via LAN

I now wanted to simply change hardware from the FritzBox 7362 SL to the MikroTik cAP ac, which was recommended by a friend of mine. The cAP ac was intended to replace the FritzBox and initially simply work as an AccessPoint to the above mentioned hardware. The plan was to plug the ethernet PoE cable into the cAP ac, do some minor tweaks (setting SSIDs, passwords, potential frequency ranges,...) and let it run. However, I am somehow not able to get it working and now realized that I underestimated the knowledge required to setup the cAP ac.

When I plug the external PoE injector to LAN1 and the coneection to the Netgear switch into LAN2 everything seems to work as expected. My intention was to use the PoE supply from the switch itself and therefore only plug that cable into LAN1. However, when I do this, the cAP ac is not anymore accessible via WinBox nor can I access it from anywhere else. I assume, that some settings are blocking LAN1 from being a "normal" switch connection.
I want all ports to be bridged (Wifi to LAN and vice versa) as well as Wifi on 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

I would be very grateful for any help. If you require more information, please tell me.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: cAP ac setup issues

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:50 pm

Although the capac can act like a router its really best suited as an AP.
If you wanted a combo unit you should have purchased a hapac2 for $69 or a hapac3 for $99 compared to the capac at $69.

I too am not convinced that using other vendors POE on the capac will always work.
I am using a TPLINKswitch to do the same and have had no problems with connectivity and power but the TPlink switch sometimes reboots and wondering if this is connected to the capac connection so right now using the capac supplied infector for testing.

Recommend you do the same while ensuring connection configuration. That way you eliminate POE as part of the problem.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:53 am

CAP AC in default has activated Firewall on LAN1 so it is not possible to connect the Managment Interface.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:18 pm

Well yes one should configure the capac via laptop first to setup it up for the correct bridge and management setup and lanip address so that it is accessible via winbox on the network.
I also like to setup lan2 as a separate LANIP address only so that I can access it separately via laptop in case my bridge config goes funky which has happened on many an occasion while frigging with it.
Note the access on lan2 is easy if you can remove the capac without isssue, IF the capac is in a more difficult spot try to run a cable from lan2 to a reachable spot for this backup plan.

bksan
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:52 am

Thank you for you quick replies!

I have tried to get more knowledge on how the different characteristics of the routerOS are working with some YouTube videos.
What I have done now is:
1. I have bridged all "wlanX" and "etherX" ports of the cAP ac
2. I have switched the "ether1" interface from WAN to LAN, as the cAP ac is not my connection to the internet
3. I have switched off all Firewall rules, as the firewall is existing in the router (FritzBix 7560)

When I had done this, everything was finally working. Do you see a risk with having no firewall rules on the cAP ac?

Regards

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:57 pm

Nope,, On my capac, no firewall rules.
Just ensure its LANIP is on the management or home lan.

ether1 and wlans are on the bridge,
eth2 has its own address not associated with the bridge for emerg access
put in a route manually 0.0.0.0/0 gateway=management or homelan gateway