Community discussions

MikroTik App

re2231
just joined
Topic Author

I need to know some basics

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:26 am

Hi,
I am a noob here, and need to know a few things.

My internet is provided to me via my providers router, which is a Huawei Echolife HG8245H via fiber.

I would like to my RB2011 as a primary router. My provider will not allow this directly, however, I was wondering if I can just 'pass through' the internet through my providers router and use my RB2011 for everything else.

So far, per my research, i need to disable NAT and DHCP in my providers router. What is a good tutorial for what I need to achieve?

Sorry I am not sure of the correct terminology (bridge etc)

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: I need to know some basics

Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:38 pm

you just to make the Huawei as bridge mode, and pppoe connection will terminate into RB2011
That is all you need to do

atuxnull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:57 pm

ask your provider if they support pppoe-passthrough. If yes, you will not need to configure anything on the provider's router. Then in your RB2011 you create a new pppoe-client and use your provider's credentials. It might sound strange to have pppoe over fiber, but many providers do that in Europe, but it is really useful.
on the other hand if they say yes you have some options:
-make huawei in bridge mode, but you will loose other services, such VOIP telephony, IPTV, etc
-disable NAT, DHCP, Firewall from Huawei, connect RB2011 to huawei via an ethernet cable and assign next available IP from HUAWEI to RB2011. Then you have to do a NAT, DHCP, FIREWALL over this link.

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:59 pm

First things to try is: Don't change anything. Just connect the Mikrotik to your main gateway router...
See if it works (it should). Then maybe switch off Wifi on the Huawei and use only Mikrotik Wifi.

For typical home application everything will work fine including double NAT. Only issues could be if the IP address/range
of Huawei is same as Mikrotik (192.168.88.x).
If so just change on Mtik (or Huawei) to something else (192.168.100.x).

Once you have that work you can try to see further what you want to do/change etc.
NAT is not an issue at all, you can keep it enabled on both machines.