Community discussions

MikroTik App

Gpend
just joined
Topic Author

cap ac "wireless wire

Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:40 am

I recently purchased a cap ac in hopes of connecting two sides of my 70-year-old house. All I want for this AP is for it to connect to an existing cap ac AP wirelessly and provide wired network connectivity to the other side of the house.

I have tried several times to config and after several failed attempts I need help. If it's not possible, is there another product you would recommend?

Any assistance would be greatly appriciated.

for reference, directly wiring the devices is not currently an option for my house layout, and ethernet over powerline doesn't like to work over ancient wires.

Hominidae

Re: cap ac "wireless wire

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:40 pm

...sure it is possible, but what exactly did you try and fail with?

In order to do this, both cAPs must "see each other" over Wifi. I'd recommend using wifi2 (5Ghz) for the link if the distance between both would allow.
Basically it is fairly easy...

- leave the first cAP-ac as AP and select the proper mode on the desired wifi interface that matches the station mode on cAP-ac #2
- configure the second on the chosen wifi interface in the appropriate station mode for your use case, I'd recommend station-bridge.
- configure the other wifi interface on cAP-ac #2 as AP

See: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:W ... tion_Modes

Basically, that'll be it.

Gpend
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:25 pm

Thank you, I'll give that a try.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:35 pm

fix2k5
just joined

Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:56 pm

...sure it is possible, but what exactly did you try and fail with?

In order to do this, both cAPs must "see each other" over Wifi. I'd recommend using wifi2 (5Ghz) for the link if the distance between both would allow.
Basically it is fairly easy...

- leave the first cAP-ac as AP and select the proper mode on the desired wifi interface that matches the station mode on cAP-ac #2
- configure the second on the chosen wifi interface in the appropriate station mode for your use case, I'd recommend station-bridge.
- configure the other wifi interface on cAP-ac #2 as AP

See: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:W ... tion_Modes

Basically, that'll be it.

just to clarify, does you recommendation suggests that there should be a dedicated channel (e.g. 5GHz wifi) for communication between APs to establish CAPs connection and only 2GHz would be available to clients?

In my case i have LMT (Chateu) that I would like to use as CAPsMan (it has 2 and 5 GHz) and I also have 2 Audience devices (they have 3 channels - 2 GHz / 5 GHz for clients and extra 5 Ghz for CAPs communicattion?) that I would like to connect as CAPs. And I would like to connect all of them together only using wifi. With Audience it works like that, but do I understand it correctly that when I add Chateu to the picture I will loose one channel (e.g. 5GHz) and clients will be able to use only 2GHz?
And to keep both 2/5 GHz wifi the only option is to connect both Audience devices using network cable to CAPsMAN?

Thanks

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:02 pm

fix2k5 you should really start your own thread.

As for the OP, I dont think your approach will bare much fruit.
If you are having issues connecting from one AP to the other side of the house, what makes you think that the capac will fare much better.
I suppose if you kind of move them a little bit towards centre then you can gain some advantage.
I would change the recommendation to using 2.4 ghz to connect the two units together as 2.4 has greater long range success and also if you need to go through a wall or two.
THen use 5ghz for the local area around the access point.

Personally invest in
a. a drill and run ethernet through walls or
b. a drill and bring ethernet up into the attic and back down