Community discussions

MikroTik App

senseivita
Topic Author

Why interfaces don't work for firewall rules?

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:00 pm

I'm trying to pass all traffic entering an interface (rule #3) but it's catching nothing:
Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 00.58.03.png
Instead all traffic is caught by the later rule (rule #6) which just like the intended one, doesn't specify
src.addr
. Why specifying the interface breaks the otherwise identical rule? They are processed in order, aren't they?

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Why interfaces don't work for firewall rules?

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:27 pm

You forgot to show the config.....otherwise there is no context

/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

senseivita
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:06 am

Oh man, I'm sorry, I'm still learning the rules around here.

I attached the file now. If it's all scarily open it's because it sits behind other firewalls, IDS/IPS and proxies already. I promise I'm not that reckless. :D This will be the "distribution" firewall, so to speak, it'll filter outbound traffic only--or rather inbound traffic on a given interface from a host with destination to 0.0.0.0/0.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:46 am

What device is this?
I do not see any bridge configuration.

senseivita
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:56 pm

There's no bridge, it's a router. :)

It's not a device either, it's a CHR.

It seems not to obey the firewall at random or something; I just blocked myself and I still can communicate out.

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 04.33.00.png
I have full access to what shouldn't be allowed--everything outside of RFC1918. I doubled-checked the machine's network and everything. IDK what's up. :/

network-connection.png

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:05 pm

Is very hard to follow any reasoning if you have all interface and items numbered like 0011.
I lost all context of every instruction.
You have configured the device, you know that.
The export is a rebus full of thing to remember at memory.

Even the screenshots without context they make it appear as if
you don't know that, in the firewall, if you accept it, you can no longer drop it later with another rule.

afuchs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:34 pm

Lets recap.

You have configured:
  • 20 vlans on ether1 that is renamed to z0001/trunk
  • every vlan has a 10.x.y.y network, with x as the number of den VLAn interface (not Vlan ID)
  • you have ipv4-dhcp server for some VLANs, eg interface 0009
  • you have ipv6-dhcp server for some VLANs and /ipv6 nd prefix set, include the 0009 and
  • your first 3 firewall filters have the comment "accept if0009" and accept all traffics form 0003, 0006 and 0009 in the forward chain
  • you have no IPv6 filter set
  • you have no input firewall rules
Are you sure that IPv6 isn't used for your tests?

senseivita
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:00 pm

Is very hard to follow any reasoning if you have all interface and items numbered like 0011.
I lost all context of every instruction.
You have configured the device, you know that.
The export is a rebus full of thing to remember at memory.

Even the screenshots without context they make it appear as if
you don't know that, in the firewall, if you accept it, you can no longer drop it later with another rule.
I'm having a hard time following what you're trying to say, but, if the last line is meant to sum it up… Interfaces are named to coordinate IP addressing in both IPv4 and IPv6. So it's easier just assigning them a number than some meaning. Whatever the case, I understand that rule processing end when traffic is accepted, I also know that in Mikrotik traffic can be fed from once chain into another, and that input chain is traffic going toward the firewall itself, so accepting traffic in the forward chain to RFC1918, even though it covers all IP addresses of the firewall, should not match traffic going to the firewall, specially since I put the firewall-bound rules always first (y'know, for safety).

I already posted all the other values in the exported config of the firewall, I think the table should be enough since nomenclature is straightforward. Bottom is rules that should be accepting traffic aren't, rules that should handle it don't. I may be new to Mikrotik's OS but I've enough experience with networking to know this shouldn't happen.

Also, one of these rules randomly started accepting traffic after a restart, then at the next restart it stopped again. It's sort of messy.
Last edited by senseivita on Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

senseivita
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:07 pm

Lets recap.

You have configured:
  • 20 vlans on ether1 that is renamed to z0001/trunk
  • every vlan has a 10.x.y.y network, with x as the number of den VLAn interface (not Vlan ID)
  • you have ipv4-dhcp server for some VLANs, eg interface 0009
  • you have ipv6-dhcp server for some VLANs and /ipv6 nd prefix set, include the 0009 and
  • your first 3 firewall filters have the comment "accept if0009" and accept all traffics form 0003, 0006 and 0009 in the forward chain
  • you have no IPv6 filter set
  • you have no input firewall rules
Are you sure that IPv6 isn't used for your tests?
Thanks for answering and for your patience!

Yeah, that's about right. I'm focusing mainly on VLAN 9, which is where I'm testing from. I blocked it whole (after the allow rule to the firewall itself) but it didn't matter.

As you may have noticed, there's no NAT or public IPv4 address, the connection to outside is handled by a set or firewalls in front of the CHR, that's where IPv6 is cut off. The default gateway is 172.22.22.2, where also are all the edge devices and DMZs. All are in the 172.16.0.0/12 address space. Then there's the 192.168.0.0/0 space for remote gateways. There's no static routes or anything because they all are in the default gateway of the CHR. :)

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:57 pm

The configuration posted and screenshots don't correspond exactly, however the rules are working as expected - in the image 'Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 04.33.00.png' the traffic source address is 10.0.0.32 which will match src-address-list 'rfc1918' referenced in rule #1 and be accepted, so never reaches rules #4 or #5.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:00 am

@tdw you right
...the traffic source address is 10.0.0.32 which will match src-address-list 'rfc1918' referenced in rule #1 and be accepted, so never reaches rules #4 or #5...

As already wroted but the OP do not understand:

Dear @senseivita, discúlpame, but I do not want to participate in your confusion, and therefore I do not help further.
Perdón.

If you need help with something else, on another clear subject, I am happy to help, but for now
Adios.
Last edited by rextended on Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

senseivita
Topic Author

Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:06 am

The configuration posted and screenshots don't correspond exactly, however the rules are working as expected - in the image 'Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 04.33.00.png' the traffic source address is 10.0.0.32 which will match src-address-list 'rfc1918' referenced in rule #1 and be accepted, so never reaches rules #4 or #5.
Source address?! What do you—hold on a sec while my mind settles down.

(BRB)

senseivita
Topic Author

Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:53 am

Okay..oh man! It's a lot.

So I went back on this haphazard log I had been keeping of what I'm setting up, tweaking, a few screenshots: at some point I that RFC1919 was in the next column i.e. destination, after posting though I focused away from this a bit since things were online it could wait. Some routes started failing, traffic started to get blocked. It took a while to trace it down to mismatching DNS which the firewalls and reverse proxies depend on. Bare-metal Domain Controllers had stopped replicating with virtualized DCs, I traced it to non-working IPv6, further traced it to no multicast traffic crossing in/out the hypervisor cluster. The CHR was occupying the place of the device that handled this before. I installed the multicast routing module (PIM), rebooted and now the rules were working. I hadn't configured anything yet, IPv6 layer 2s still split.

I rebooted again, and rules stopped working. At that point I got desperate selected all rules and deleted them. Started over copying rules and I assumed that was when I missed putting RFC1918 in scr rather than dst. Perhaps the best thing is that to draw nice curve angles I blew the screenshots over 400% and I still missed it!

Just know I redid everything again and I got this in Firefox:

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 15.02.29.png
I had never felt good about seeing that. Rebooted a few times, intentionally screw things up a little but it keeps everything seems alright now. :) I don't know what it was, I know that I made it worse though, if only snapshots could be used. :/

I can't thank you enough for your patience, if you ever need a kidney or something. :P