Community discussions

MikroTik App

MrJonn
just joined
Topic Author

Connecting 2 Mikrotiks together same LAN

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:02 pm

Hi,

I have 2 RB960PGS, R1 (to be named main router), R2 to be named 2nd router.

R1 WAN port is connected to ISP Fiber ONT.
R1 ETH2-4 Are connected to Wireless APs
R1 ETH5 is connected to R2 ETH1 (WAN) port.

R2 ETH2-5 are connected to Wireless APs

R1 has 2 IP addresses 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1, has DHCP running on both (168.0.0/24 being management network where all the APs are getting their IPs) no vlan, and 168.1.0/24 is where the Wireless clients get IPs from. (VLAN 1000 is configured on the APs and on R1 as a bridge)

- I created a Bridge on R2 for port 1-5 and all clients and APs seem to be connecting to the internet without issues,however I cant seem to give an IP address to reach the management interfaces of the 2nd router. R2.

I have given the IP 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.1.2 to the bridge interface on R2 (config pasted below).

I cant even see the box in winbox or mac-telnet client, the only way I was able to connect to it was through R1.

I connected to R1 via SSH, then using mac-telnet I was able to login to R2.

Would anyone be able to assist me? I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Perhaps there is a more efficient way to link the two routers? thank you in advance.
/interface bridge
add name=bridge
add name=bridge1
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether5
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether4
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether3
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1
/ip address
add address=192.168.0.2/24 interface=bridge1 network=192.168.0.0
add address=192.168.1.2/24 interface=bridge1 network=192.168.1.0

fsebera
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Connecting 2 Mikrotiks together same LAN

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:44 pm

Hi MrJonn,

I too am trying to connect MikroTik routers via layer-2 to expand the Bridge/Switch Vlan domain. I am trying to understand how these devices operate at layer-2 as Switches/Bridges). I found this video that walks you through how to setup a MikroTik router as a Bridge/Switch with Access ports. This is a silent video but does offer some help. There is another video that demonstrates Access and Trunk ports - I'll look for it again and post the URL.

Most documentation references the small mom and pop or home user and fails to provide any real insight to how these devices work or how to configure real world environments. Don't know how a company expects to grow by making it extremely hard for the beginner. If you reply back, I can work with you on our progress.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mi ... &FORM=VIRE
If you don't want to click on the URL above, search youtube videos for this title: How to configure MikroTik Router as a management switch.

Here is the url for the Access and Trunk setup:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mi ... 9DCADD8152

If you don't want to click on the URL above, search youtube videos for this title: Mikrotik How to Configure Trunk and Access VLAN on MK Router.

Good Luck
Frank