Community discussions

MikroTik App

granjow
Topic Author

No internet connection with hAP connected to LAN upstream

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:58 pm

Hi everybody,

I am fairly new to the networking topic and I probably don't understand some concepts as I can't get my access point working.

The network is approximately a hAP connected to a switch in the 10.10.10.0/24 network. (Actually it is a SwOS switch connected to a hEX via trunk port which is then connected to the internet router – but that should not matter as the 10.10.10.0/24 network itself works fine.)
access-points.drawio.png

Now I want to have a Wireless access point to the 10.10.10.x network. So the wireless clients should not use a subnet but obtain a 10.10.10.x IP as well.

What I would expect to be sufficient for that use case is the following configuration (please correct me where I am wrong):
  • Bridge containing ether1 and wlan1 in order to connect the wired to the wireless network
  • Static IP on the bridge; only used to configure the hAP and for the hAP to have internet access
  • Security profile for wlan1

Also, if I understand correctly:
  • I could put a DHCP client on eth1 instead of a static IP, but it makes no functional difference
  • I do not need NAT/masquerade because the wlan1 clients are not in a subnet with a DHCP server
  • I do not need to configure a route (/ip route add gateway=10.10.10.1 distance=1) because the router would just send packets from wlan1 on to eth1

With these settings I can access devices in the 10.10.10.0/24 network, but I do not have internet access. Why is that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: No internet connection with hAP connected to LAN upstream

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:30 pm

Check out this link,
it will show how to setup the hex and the hapac as a switch and access point using vlans.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=143620