Community discussions

MikroTik App

senseivita
Topic Author

Help understanding VLANs under a bridge

Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:03 am

I can't make IPv6 work in CHR. In the past routing platform which was also virtualized it worked fine, if I turn on that VM it still works fine which obviously indicates I'm doings thngs wrong in CHR. Thinking it might be multicast-related and since all those options appear to be there, I redid the VLAN interfaces previously added in Interface>VLANs to a bridge using a edited config file I got from this guide (viewtopic.php?t=143620&sid=0a22831c5533 ... e7b49e4952) after failing several other methods.

I took:
/interface bridge add name=BR1 protocol-mode=none vlan-filtering=no
/interface bridge port
add bridge=BR1 interface=ether2
/interface bridge vlan
add bridge=BR1 tagged=BR1,ether2,ether3,ether4,ether5,ether6,ether7,sfp1 vlan-ids=10
add bridge=BR1 tagged=BR1,ether2,ether3,ether4,ether5,ether6,ether7,sfp1 vlan-ids=20
add bridge=BR1 tagged=BR1,ether2,ether3,ether4,ether5,ether6,ether7,sfp1 vlan-ids=30
{...}
/interface bridge set BR1 vlan-filtering=yes
Search & Replaced: BR1>mainbridge, ether2>ifzero, regex-for-[ether2,ether3,ether4,ether5,ether6,ether7,sfp1]>nothing, edited the required VLANs. ditched the rest:
/interface bridge add name=mainbridge protocol-mode=none vlan-filtering=no
/interface bridge port
add bridge=mainbridge interface=ifzero
/interface bridge vlan
add bridge=mainbridge tagged=mainbridge,ifzero vlan-ids=2
add bridge=mainbridge tagged=mainbridge,ifzero vlan-ids=3
add bridge=mainbridge tagged=mainbridge,ifzero vlan-ids=4
{...}
/interface bridge set mainbridge vlan-filtering=yes

After deleting an "unknown" entry from the Ports tab in the Bridge window, this failed again. I added the NIC in Bridge>Ports and it came back but it shows a different icon--so I might be bridging sideways since both the NIC and the bridge are listed as tagged interfaces. I don't know. I'd like to know some terminology to stop following guides and set it up on my own, but the wiki is mostly settings without context or a guide that assumes I'm setting up a Mikrotik switch as well or that I have more than one NIC.

I only have one NIC, I added a second one bc I kept locking myself out but it's going to be just one NIC in the end, one giant trunk interface. The switches are all trunk ports too, LACP trunks to the hypervisors actually, but that doesn't know CHR. When I tried to ad ports in Bridge>Ports, in addition to the virtual NIC, I also get the VLANs formerly and/or currently slaves of it. So what is the concept of a port? What does it refer to?

Also, must VLANs exist in Interfaces>VLANs in addition to Bridge>VLANs? And if so, which interface (the bridge or the NIC) should be the VLAN's parent?

This is what finally started replying to ping requests:
chr-bridge-vlans.png
Is that how it's supposed to be? Having different types of interfaces declared as tagged/untagged doesn't seem right… :/

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help understanding VLANs under a bridge

Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:04 pm

A bridge has multiple roles, see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=173692 for a good explanation.