Community discussions

MikroTik App

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Best way to configure VLAN on wAP/NetMetal?

Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:27 am

Hi All, I'm struggling for month with this issue, did a lot of ready but sofar I could find a good answer or explanation.

On the network I've two VLAN's (101 Guest Wifi and 102 Management Wifi). I'm trying to configure a wAP and a NetMetal device. I see there is multiple different possibilities and options to configure VLANs in RouterOS. It is unclear for me when to use what. Hope the forum can help and answer a couple of questions and/or point me to some meaningful explanation. The wAP/NetMetal are connected to a HP switch on which the port is configured as tagged on 101 and 102.

1) The WIFI interfaces have a VLAN configuration option, when do I use this.

2) In the Interfaces configuration, there is a VLAN tab page. When and how do I use this in combination with question 1?
- Is setting a TAG on the WLAN interface sufficient or do I need to also configure VLAN on the interface itself.

3) If I need to configure VLAN on the interface, do I do this on the ethernet port or on the bridge interface?
- I expect on the ethernet port connected to the switch as it has to be a trunk port, correct?

4) Do I create one bridge interface with both VLAN's or two separate bridges which each their own VLAN?

5) On the bridge configuration I can configure VLAN (tagged and untagged etc) as well. When do I use this configuration option taken the above into account?

6) When do you use VLAN filtering on the bridge itself?

Looking forward to some explanation and suggestions. I've spend a lot of time investigating this but the best VLAN configuration methode is still unclear for me. Thanks for your support.

Extra info on the setup, the DHCP server is located on the gateway in the network, each VLAN has its own IP range. All the AP's are managed through CAPsMAN. The management WIFI is a second/virtual SSID on the wireless interfaces.

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Best way to configure VLAN on wAP/NetMetal?

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:22 pm

Good Morning,

VLAN-Configuration are sometime a PAIN in RouterOS...
The reason is RouterOS can be used as a Switch, Router, Firewall , WIfi-AccessPoint, etc..

If your are using Mikrotik as a "simple" Wifi-AP, i recommend using The VLAN-Tag options on the Wlan-interface or equivalent (Accesslist,CAPsMAN-Config,etc...)
Every other VLAN-Option ist usualy for Routing or Switching purposes.

Answers to your Question :

1. VLAN-Tagging on Wifi-Interfaces, wenn your want to assign Tags ONLY to your Wireless-Clients
2. If you wish to connect your router to specific VLAN-Networks, you can create VLAN-Interfaces via the Interfac Configuration Tab.
Switching, Routing and Co. is possible
3. You dont have to create the VLANS, if you only use the Mikrotik-Device as a Wifi-AP
4. Create only one Bridge and assign all Interfaces (lan and wlan) to the bridge
5. It's useally used in Layer2 Vlan-Operation (aka Switching), not for Wifi-AP
6. If you habe a Mirkotik-Device with a Switch-Chip you can take advantage of it (== Better Performance)
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:S ... p_Features

Extra : alternatively to the second/virtual SSID, you could simply habe one SSID for everything.
Default Client get the Vlan01 Tag and Known Management devices get via the accesslist the VLAN102 Tag.